Chapter 6

They were on a call when Buck felt his phone vibrate in his pocket. He didn't have time to answer so he just shrugged it off and moved on with helping Bobby. All people important to him were either with him at the scene or knew what he was doing for a living and to not be offended if he didn't answer their calls immediately.

They were currently 13 hours into their 24-hour shift and currently helping victims in a car crash. Thank lord I wasn't a tragic one.

Well for all the people involved it was probably pretty tragic but Buck decided when no one died on a side, then he was happy. And really. All the victims could walk and talk, and that was defiantly more than he could have asked for.

He felt his phone vibrate again when he was packing away equipment. Someone was stubborn today...

He looked at cap who just gave the signal to clean up and go back to the station and decided that he could just answer. An unknown number looked at him, as he answer.

"Evan Buckley speaking. Who is this?"

"Thank god. It's Deacon. David Kay. I work with your boyfriend. We met on Friday. Remember?" Evan nodded stiffly before he remembered that Deacon couldn't see him and gave a verbal confirmation.

Someone calling him till he answered, someone who worked with his boyfriend and definitely shouldn't have his number couldn't be good.

"Where are you right now?" Deacon asked next.

"I am at a scene. There was a big car crash downtown. What's going on Deacon?" The other man was silent for a minute.

"Listen Buck, I was really hoping to tell you in person. I am five minutes from your location. Three if I turn on the lights."

A cold shower went down Buck's spine. I couldn't be. Hondo would have contacted him, wouldn't he?

"Deacon just tell me! Is he... is he alive?" His voice sounded raspy. He could feel tears sliding down his cheek. He could feel a warm hand, Eddie's warm hand on his shoulder, but he couldn't face the man. He needed to know.

"The last time I saw them, they were alive. But..." Buck could hear the siren coming near and then got turned off. One moment he could hear the man breathe through the line before it went dead. The next, he saw the man in front of him.

"Them?", he asked. Voice still not under control.

Deacon nodded sadly. His eyes were read. A few tears still visible.

"Hondo and Street. We got busted. Hondo got shot in the shoulder, he was talking when I left the scene. Street... he was... he was shot twice. Once in the arm and... and once in the chest. They... they... they got him back but... It's bad son."

The nickname had just slipped from Deacon's lips as he saw the younger man's world getting crushed. He really would have liked to give him better news. To be more optimistic. But Street's heart had just stopped twice and with the amount of blood he had lost... They could just pray and hope.

Deacon wanted to hug the younger man, but didn't want to overstep. So he left it to Buck's college (or friend?) to do so. Buck was fully crying now.

"What's going on here? Buck?" An older man came over to them. The captain Deacon assumed.

"Hello captain. My name is David Kay. I am with SWAT. I just had to deliver bad news about... about a relatives of Buck who was hurt in the line of duty."

When Street hid their relationship for the time, he was with them, he didn't know if Buck had done the same. He just didn't want to out them. Especially not now.