Chapter 8

Steve was frustrated. It had taken him 9 hours to get to Los Angeles, to get to Evan. 9 HOURS!

First, his flight had been delayed and then the traffic in L.A. had made it impossible to drive as fast as he would have liked.

He was just grateful that Hondo had texted him Evan's room number and floor so he hadn't had to bother the run-down nurse at the reception desk.

He knew how he looked, as he was running up the stairs to get to Evan's floor, but he needed to see the kid. Needed to see with his own eyes, that he was okay. That he was breathing. That he was alive.

What he had told the other on their video call was true. He would have given Evan all the time, he wanted. He would have waited years, an eternity if that would have been the younger's wish.

But now?

Now Evan needed them. Needed him. Otherwise, the younger man would drown himself in grief. Again.

Steve was well aware, that Evan's boyfriend (he would never be able to express how grateful he was, that at one point the younger man had started to move on) was alive.

But Steve also knew Evan. He knew how he would feel guilty if one of the team had gotten hurt. How he would blame himself for things, he wouldn't have been able to change. Steve was sure, that Evan was doing it right now. He was probably drowning himself in guilt.

The Hawaiian wouldn't let that happen. Not again!

Last time, Evan had slipped through their fingers. Had left them behind, because they had let him. The older man knew, that it was, what Evan had wanted at the time. But he was still sure, that they could have helped him. Be there for him.

Now he could be there for him. So he would be.

Finally, he arrived at his destination. He stopped in front of the glass doors that separated him from the man he thought about like a little brother. And if he would be honest with himself, maybe even like a son.

Evan was lying curled up on the hospital bed, his boyfriend currently occupied. His arms protectively around the other man. A grey-haired man sat in a chair beside them.

The older man seemed to have seen him because he closed the book he had been reading out loud, whispered something into Evan's ear, and with a soft pat on his curly hair left the room.

"The man, Hondo, and Evan served with, I assume?", he asked as soon as the hospital door closed behind him.

Steve was taken aback but managed a soft nod. The older man nodded satisfied.

"Good. As much as I love the kid, I really have to shower. Even I can smell, that I smell! Names Deacon by the way." Steve held out his hand while answering.

"Steve or McGarrett, whatever you prefer. Thanks for staying with him." Deacon shook his head.

"No worries. My wife had sent me to hell, if I wouldn't have made sure, he is taken care of. Claimed him, as soon as she laid eyes on him. And my sons already asked when "Uncle Evan" will vised again." Both men chuckled.

Steve's heart made a jump. He couldn't imagine how hard life had been for their kid. But to hear, that others looked out for him? That they had claimed him as family? It made his heart become warmer and let him hope.

"So the doctors say, that Street is stable for the night. There were no complications or anything so he will make it. It will just take a while. After seeing Evan they decided that he and one other person were allowed to stay the night.