1 : Pilot

AALIYAH

Today was supposed to be a good day.

Desirée and I were going somewhere today. She always forced me out of the house every once in a while.

She says it's good for the soul to get out and do something with your life.

Now, January 14th is forever engraved in my mind as the day that will bring about change.

I was on the phone with Desirée when my mom knocked on my door.

"Aaliyah," she said slowly, opening my door and peeking in, "can you come downstairs really quick? Your dad and I need to talk to you."

I nodded and looked back at my phone to Desirée. "Des I have to go, but I'll call you back later."

"Okay, but when you call me back tell me what that was about."

"I'm sure it's nothing but okay."

Little did I know once I hung up that phone how much my life would change.

Maybe if I could go back in time and stay upstairs they wouldn't have been able to tell me.

I went downstairs to find Mom and Dad sitting on the couch holding hands.

They looked nervous, but for some reason, my mom looked kind of happy too.

I went to sit on the couch across from them, and we just sat there in silence for a little.

My mom finally cleared her throat. "Honey," she said hesitantly, "we have something we need to tell you."

"Okay, what is it?"

"We're getting a divorce."

I sat there. Frozen. Trying to take in what she just said. The words that she said were heavy. Even though there were only five. Those five words would change my life so much.

"What?"

"We've been planning on telling you for months, but we wanted to wait for the right time. Then we realized that there would never be a right time to tell you."

Oh, how I wish I could go back to when I was worried about who would pick me to be on their team in gym.

"Why?" People just don't get a divorce without having a reason, so I just needed to know why.

"Why what?"

"Why are you getting a divorce?"

My mom looked over at my dad who still hasn't said a word this whole time.

Why was he letting her do all the talking?

"Sweetie why doesn't matter-"

"People don't just get divorced without a reason. So. Why? Are you getting a divorce?"

My father finally cleared his throat to say something. "Honey, you know I love you and your mom so much-"

"How long?" I said interrupting him before he could get too far.

"How long, what?" he asked, confused.

"How long have you been having an affair?"

He looked shocked. Like he had no idea that the subject would even come up.

"Now, Aaliyah what makes you think that?"

"You started by saying how much you love me and my mom. People don't say that unless they have something to be guilty about. So I'll ask you again. How long?"