Stars

That night was rough. I laid in my hammock trying to sleep but I couldn't.

Flashes of memories would come whenever I closed my eyes. I didn't want to have to deal with the emotions I'd feel from these memories. I didn't want to have something to miss while I was here. I'd rather miss an idea than something real.

I swing my legs out of the hammock and stood up. I was quiet and made sure not to wake any of the Gladers.

Not everyone was in bed. There were still a few guys gathered by the dying fire whispering and chatting. I wanted to be alone or at least with some one I was comfortable with..

I wandered back to the maze hoping Minho would still be there resting. I knew he wouldn't get much sleep tonight and I had finally found a multitude of questions about this project.

He wasn't there. I heaved a sigh and was almost ready to leave when I heard a familiar voice.

"Looking for your protector?" The voice of Gally said mockingly.

I knew he wanted to fight with me. He was just using Newt as a way to upset me.

"No," I said firmly.

"Well you won't be seeing much of him around for awhile," he said pretending to pout, "Your little protector is sick."

I had to fight the concern that was filling my heart. I was thankful that the dark night and lack of moon masked the true worry in my eyes.

"I think I should be heading back now," I said quietly and began to turn. This conversation was escalating quickly. I could feel the anger radiating off him like heat.

Gally grabbed my arm forcefully and turned me around to face him.

"I know what you're up to 'Marie'," he said angrily, "I know you're one of them. You are not one of us and you'd best not forget it."

His nails dug into my arm painfully and I let out a small whimper. It was then that he noticed the force he was actually using. He let go quickly and stared at the ground. His eyes had softened and I swear I saw remorse fill them. It was dark and late so my observation couldn't be correct. I stood there in shock with wide eyes.

"Didn't you say you were leaving!" He whispered harshly.

I nodded and sprinted back to the hammocks. I got back in mine and laid awake staring at the sky and stars. I was shaking a bit from the encounter but I refused to be afraid.

Maybe it was time to face the memories. This was the only way to discover my purpose and I had avoided them too long. I closed my eyes carefully and began to see the truth...