In the Depths of the Maze

It was cold and damp. My head pounded like a thousand needles were puncturing it. I gingerly rubbed my temple and pushed away the long strands of brown hair that were obstructing my eyesight. Where was I?

I desperately looked around for some kind of an explanation but all I could see were walls covered in thick, tangled ivory. The plants had climbed up the walls as if they were reaching for a sense of freedom that could only be attained once they reached the top.

I heard screeching and strange sounds coming from every corner of this empty, ongoing prison. My head was spinning as I tried to see the source of the noises.

I saw blood on my hands and bruises all over my arms. It touched my aching head again to find more blood on my hands. My head was bleeding and from the amount on blood on my hands, it was bleeding a lot. What happened to me? I thought fearfully to myself.

As I searched my brain for answers, I began to panic in the sudden realization that I had no memories of where I was or who I was. There were few existing memories in my brain but they were blurred and didn't seem to explain anything.

My panicking triggered my breathing to hitch and I started to hyperventilate. I couldn't draw in enough of the oxygen I so needed. I began gasping, wheezing, and making strained noises in an attempt to cry for help. I was certain I was going to die.

I was on the verge of passing out when I heard quick footsteps approaching me. My vision was blurred but I could make out a blonde boy running towards me. He was shouting something at me but I couldn't make it out. Who was this boy?

He ran closer and closer to me and I started to feel endangered. Fear overtook my battered body and I raised my small arms in a meek attempt to defend myself. Suddenly, it all went black.

I felt myself floating through the crisp afternoon air. I felt someone's strong arms cradling and carefully carrying my unresponsive body.

I tried to move wanting more than anything to escape and find answers, but it seemed my mind was no longer in control of my limbs.

I heard voices yelling for someone to hurry but as the we grew closer to them, they all hushed their shouting. An unbearable silence was created.

"What's he carrying?..." a young voice spoke timidly in the midst of the silence. I heard quiet whispers until another dared to speak again.

"Newt, is that a girl?" A deeper voice inquired clearly astonished.

"Yes" I heard the boy carrying me huff then mutter, "It's a bloody girl."

All of a sudden, I was falling back into darkness. My half conscious brain submerged back into the depths of my mind, and my senses disappeared once again. I was left alone with feelings of fear and confusion.