Past Rediscovered

A man stood in front of me. Half of his face was highlighted by the eerie candle light.

"My Marie," he said smiling cynically at me, "I'm so glad they brought you back to me."

I was tied to a wooden chair with strong rope. I struggled against it, causing my skin to burn.

"Now now Darling," he said chucking, "Calm down Dear."

He made his way over and lifted my chin up to look him directly in the eyes.

"It really is you." He said, his eyes glossing over with fascination.

I struggled to scream but there was a gag tied around my head and in my mouth. It kept me from spitting at this man and screaming for help.

He quickly snapped out of his delirious look and returned to a large table. There were drawings all spread out on the surface. They looked like maps, not just of the world but of different regions too. There were maps of roads, states, countries, and waters.  He studied them and then walked to a blackboard hanging on the back wall. There was a large map of what looked like a giant maze taped to the blackboard. It was like nothing I had ever seen before. The map was drawn out in black charcoal with some smudges along the edges of the paper.

"Like what I've created?" He said peering at me over his shoulder.

I shook my head furiously and looked away. Tears threatened to pour out of my eyes.

"Ah my Dear," he said sketching more of the maze, "one day you will perfect all of my plans."

Loud footsteps echoed outside of the room. The man's head shot up abruptly and he laid down the piece of charcoal he was drawing with. He wiped his hands on a dirty rag and began to make his way toward the door. There was a heavy knock and the man answered it in one swift move.

"Ah hello sir." He man said to the strange figure in the door.

"Hello Mr. Daedalus." The strange man said in a monotone voice. "Is the maze complete? She is waiting you know."

"Yes," he said smirking, "I have finished my beautiful creation, but it still needs modifications as the trials begin. Lucky for me, I have found my lovely daughter to aid me."

The two man glanced at me causally if a girl tied to a chair was nothing out of the ordinary. The stranger nodded in approval, whereas Mr. Daedalus looked at me with immense pride.

"Well we should send her off to training then," the stranger said to the other man, "the longer we keep her the more she'll remember."

"Indeed." He replied excitedly.

The two men began laughing maliciously as the walked slowly towards me.

I screamed at the top of my lungs and everything went black.

"Marie," said a soft voice from above me. I felt like I was floating on a cloud.

"Alby she's had a night terror of some sort." The soft voice spoke again this time a bit fainter.

"I fear it is something else," a powerful voice said. "She's beginning to regain her memories."

"That's impossible!" A third voice scoffed. "We only remember our names and she's already done that."

"Well don't you think she's a bit bloody different than the rest of us!" The soft voice spoke out this time more enraged.

"Yes actually, there is something awfully suspicious about her!" The third voice spoke again.

"Enough you two!" the authoritative voice said quieting the quarrel. "Newt you stay with her until she wakes, then come get us."

"Sir," the third voice interrupted in a different tone. "Shouldn't all of us stay here and wait for her to wake up?"

"No, she needs space and a calm environment. She can't get that with the two of you quarreling in such a way." Alby said.

"I'll watch over her," the soft voice said. I felt a cool hand placed on my warm cheek. I felt instantly relaxed.

I drifted off into darkness again.