⚔︎ 1 ⚔︎

Mother stops me just as I'm leaving my room. Her leafy gold arm band wraps around her bicep as a simple reminder that she was once the Queen of Loam. A powerful force to be reckoned with.

Stepping up to me, she wraps her hands around my arms, her fingers gently rubbing the band that marks my power as Queen.

"I'm so proud of you, darling. You've become something great indeed. Just as I always knew you would." Tears glisten in her eyes, something I didn't see often as a child. I pull her into a hug, squeezing her with all the love and respect I have for her. And boy do I have respect for her.

"Thank you, Mother. I will forever look up to you as an example."

Patting my back, she chuckles. "Now, now. Don't go making me cry any harder than I already am."

I laugh, and the tears that were slowly building take that as an opportunity to fall. Mother squeezes me one last time before letting her arms fall to her sides.

"I know you have countless meetings today, but I wanted to let you know how proud I am."

"I was taught by the best," I answered, my lips twisting into a smile. She grins, winking at me.

"Now go be even greater than I was."

Her words add a little pep to my step.

Not too long after, Apollo pulls me aside, his usually cheerful self serious. What's going on today? "Calla, I want to talk to you about something. I've been considering traveling home."

"Home? You mean Flare?" He gives a slow nod, and my stomach drops. "Oh, I see. How long would you be away?"

"I don't think you understand. I want us to go to Flare."

My stomach drops even lower. "Apollo, you should know better than anyone. That's not possible right now. Not with the attack and- and Octavia's daughter. Heck, Gaia's still out there! There's just too much going on right now. Ambrose already thinks I'm a failure, and if we just up and left that would only solidify that belief. Besides who would-"

"Are you going to let me explain?" Apollo sighs. I pause for a few breaths, my heart in my throat. Apollo squeezes my hands, his golden eyes soft. Finally, I nod. "You need to step back. Your emotions are so high right now, you can't even think straight." I open my mouth to counter, but stop at Apollo's look. "We could come back at a moment's notice. It would only be until things calm down, and you can separate yourself from the situation."

"My Court comes first, Apollo. It has to."

"That's what I'm asking you to do. Prioritize your mental health, so that you can rule to the best of your abilities."

I set my jaw, brushing my hair out of my face. "I'll think about it."

"Alright." With a sigh, Apollo moves past me down  the hall. No verbal blows were made, yet it still feels like we just had an argument. I blow a breath out through my lips, setting my hands on my hips.

Our duty is to our Court. Apollo knows that. We can't just abandon ship when it matters most. But he's not wrong about my mental state. I've been zoning out more and more. My emotions quickly rise to the surface, and those emotions spread faster than gossip in a small town with the help of my Regalia.

Switching directions, I climb the stairs of the tallest tower. Stepping out into the open air of the battlement, I glance around my Court. I can see for miles and miles up it. It helps remind me that I'm just a small part of a bigger world. A bigger world that needs me to make the right decision.

I clench my hands to stop their shaking. I've been prepared my whole life for this. I can do this, right?

My quivering breaths speak volumes towards the opposite. With a groan, I slide to the floor and grip my hair. Why is this so difficult! It's been ingrained in me since birth that Loam comes first. No matter what. But if I can't make the right decisions, is it fair for me to continue to make them?

I tip my head back letting my hands fall to my knees. My chest moves up and down with every labored breath. Tears course steadily down my cheeks in big, fat drops. Or is that rain? Looking up at the blue, cloudless sky, I decide it's rain. Even if I know it's a lie. I just need a reason to believe in myself right now. And if I'm sitting on the battlement having a breakdown, it doesn't boost my confidence.

I laugh half heartedly. Maybe I do need a break. If just the thought of the past week has me calling my tears rain on a perfectly clear day, then what do I have to offer my court right now?

Apollo's right. Unfortunately for me, he usually is. Now I just have to tell him. Oh dear.

I don't have to wait long for him to show up. The sound of his frantic footsteps reaches me as he rushes up the tower stairs. He's probably coming to inform the guards that the Queen disappeared.

I smile up at him as he breaks through the doorway, stumbling over himself in his effort not to trample me.

"You really need to stop scaring me like that, Calla," he grumbles, settling his lean body down across from me. He stretches his legs out, bumping his toes into my thigh.

"I just needed a moment to myself," I murmur, tipping my head back again to look at the sky. "It's such a beautiful day today. Things like that shouldn't be taken for granted."

Apollo hums. "I hadn't noticed. The weather seemed normal."

"That's the whole point. Maybe I need a change of scenery." I hold my breath, sure he's going to gloat about being right. His hand rests on my shin, drawing my eyes from the sky to his brilliant golden eyes.

"Are you sure, love?" He whispers, his brow creased. "You have a connection here, a purpose. I don't want to take you away if it's going to make you unhappy."

Placing my hand over his, I take a deep breath. "You were right. I need to step away for a moment and work on myself. I can't make the right decisions for my people if I'm too deep in my emotions."

His lips press together, holding back I grin I'm sure. Flipping his hand over, he squeezes my hand. "Well then, are you ready for the adventure of a lifetime?"

A/N: Most of this was in my original draft of Folke, but it didn't fit with the new draft and I didn't want to throw it away so I'm so happy it fit here! I loved the cute moment between her and her mom and then the moment between her and Apollo *sigh* They've still got a long way to go, but they're getting there. Maybe... Any thoughts? ------------>