⚔︎ 9 ⚔︎

Apollo knocks on our adjoining door early the next morning. I groan, rolling over in my bed.

"It's too early," I complain. His laugh echoes through the door.

"It's just me," He calls. "There's no need to be all dressed up."

My heart pounds against my chest as I stand and walk to the door. Taking a deep breath, I wipe my palms on the front of my nightgown. A pretty pink nightgown.

It's just Apollo, I remind myself. He loves me. I love him. No big deal.

Opening up the door, I lean against it. Apollo matches my pose by leaning against the door frame. His eyes flit over my face as his classic smile touches his lips.

"Hey."

"Hey," I answer softly, my eyebrows raising. "Were you in need of something?"

He nods very seriously. "You."

My heart skips a beat, as he opens his arms for a hug. I lean into him, wrapping my arms around his waist. He sighs, his breath ruffling my hair.

"I missed you," he confesses with a soft nuzzle into my head.

"We weren't even apart really. It was just separate rooms for the night." I laugh and tip my head up to see him. His golden eyes are filled with so much contentment it makes my stomach jolt.

"I know, but my heart doesn't seem to understand." Apollo leans down a few inches to press his lips to mine. My fingers tighten around his shirt subconsciously. Pulling back, he rests his forehead against mine. "Was it cold for you last night?"

"A little, but I just added an extra blanket. Why?" I think I know where he's going with this, and my stomach lurches with anticipation.

"I just kept thinking about how warm I always was when Aelin would accidentally fall asleep on my lap, which made me think about how beautiful the two of you looked when you both fell asleep in the library, and... it made me wonder," he pauses, looking between my eyes as if trying to sense my reaction before he said the words. "What would it be like to fall asleep beside you and wake up next to you every morning?"

I can't breathe. With the way he stopped coming once we were old enough to truly understand our situation, I never expected to feel anything like this towards him. Looking up at him through my lashes, I murmur, "Why don't we find out?"

Apollo's smile drops for a second in surprise before he laughs, tossing back his curly haired head back. Meeting my gaze once more, he cups my cheek with a hand. "Yes, why don't we?"

He kisses me again, and I lose touch with everything else. Eventually, I shove Apollo into his room to get ready for breakfast.

Tan trousers, a light airy shirt, and a green cape that makes my eyes pop a little make up my outfit for the day. It's regal enough on its own, but paired with my leafy crown I look like the Queen I am. Even after all this time, it's still a little surreal.

Running a brush through my hair, I meet my eyes in my mirror. Forest green eyes, amber locks, high cheekbones, pale skin. What is it exactly that Apollo sees in me? Sure, I'm pretty, but definitely not a great beauty.

Sighing, I shake the thoughts away. I'm sure everyone feels inadequate when faced with the love of their life. Especially when that love looks like Apollo. That strong jaw of his, and that mop of curls on his head along with his laughing eyes never ceases to make my heart pound even just in my thoughts.

His soft knock has me scrambling to finish. "Just a second," I call out, dropping my crown on my head and slipping my Noble around my arm. Apollo steps into my room, leaning casually against the wall while he waits.