⚔︎ 4 ⚔︎

As I step into the library, my mind is transported back to Scle. What happened after Octavia hit me with that enchantment? I just remember blackness and then Apollo's voice as he carried me to our rooms. It's... odd.

I scan the shelves until my eyes find the same book that led to the bizarre turn of events. The Shadow Man. A collection of ghost stories used to scare little children. I stare at the book for what seems like ages before finally slipping my fingers around the spine and pulling it out. If I brace myself for a secret door to open, well, you're supposed to learn from your mistakes.

The book falls gently into my hand, and it appears to have triggered nothing.

"Mama says I can't read that til I'm older," a little voice mumbles behind me. My heart flying to my throat, I spin around. Aelin stands at the door to the library, her head tilted.

"Your Mama is right. It's probably not the best book for you."

She scowls. "I'm not the baby everyone thinks I am."

Laughing, I saunter slowly over to where she stands. Squatting down so we're eye level, I whisper conspiratorially, "I don't think you're a baby."

Aelin raises one eyebrow, planting her hands on her hips. Looking me up and down, she finally sighs. "Okay. I have to spend an hour here for quiet time. Will you read to me?"

"I'd like that," I answer with a smile. Standing, I hold out a hand for her to take. She takes charge immediately and drags me over to what I'm guessing is her part of the library. It has a pile of story books and a huge pillow and blanket fort. Dropping to the ground, she hands me a well-loved book. I settle down beside her as I open to the first story.

I read a few pages before Aelin's small form leans against me. For a second, I freeze. A child's never curled up next to me before. Do I wrap my arm around her or just keep going?

"The next word is crossbow," Aelin prompts quietly. "Mama had to help me with that one too."

Clearing my throat, I mutter, "Right, thanks," and continue. Before long, her body goes limp on my lap. Again, I freeze. When I look down around the book, she lets out a little snore. My heart melts a little at the soft press of her against me. Suddenly, the strongest desire to pick her up and hold her close fills me.

I've never really spent much time around children, but it's always been my duty to produce an heir one day. Until today, I've never thought about it. As I smooth Aelin's hair away from her face, I realize I want to have kids. And it scares me like nothing else.

Moving my gaze away from Aelin, they drop onto The Shadow Man. I pick it up slowly, opening the front cover. Quickly, I flip through the pages, my eyes scanning the words. Nothing pops out at me until about halfway through, when Deimos is mentioned. A vision from Deimos to be exact. In the story, it symbolizes upcoming chaos. Now that I think about it, it has in my life as well. Every time Deimos has visited me in a vision so far, chaos has erupted afterwards. What chaos is this most recent vision foreshadowing?

Shaking the thoughts from my mind, I set the book aside and pick up the book I was reading to Aelin. This should keep my thoughts from drifting to places it doesn't need to be.

***

A warm hand gently shakes my shoulder, and I flick out my knife with a gasp as my eyes fly open. Apollo chuckles, slowly pushing my hand away from his body.

"How about we not... I'm sorry to wake you, but it's time to get ready for dinner." For some reason, his hand stays on my wrist. I slip it out of his hold to tuck my knife away before rubbing my eyes.