Chapter 38

Wahid sat across from Imaan in the private plane, the tension thick in the air between them. He knew he had hurt her badly, and he was at a loss for how to make things right. After he woke up the next day, he could barely remember what he had done, connecting the bits and pieces and based on Imaan's disappointed face, he figured out that he did something bad, really bad.

Imaan on the other hand, was silent, staring blankly out the window.

"I'm sorry, Imaan," Wahid said, breaking the silence. "I know I messed up, I didn't mean to get drunk. I really am sorry."

But Imaan didn't respond. She didn't even look his way.

Wahid felt his anger start to rise. He wasn't going to sit here and let his wife ignore him. "You can't just keep ignoring me, Imaan. I apologized and we need to talk about this."

Imaan finally turned to look at him, her eyes filled with pain and uncertainty. "You hurt me so much, Wahid. I don't know if I can forgive you." Her voice barely above a whisper.

Wahid felt his heart drop. He had hoped for a different response, but he knew he deserved it. He had been selfish, choosing to prioritize work over their marriage, but how can he accept this?

"I know I messed up, just give me another chance" Wahid pleaded, staring into her eyes, he knew that she always falls for his charm.

Imaan remained silent, her eyes fixed on Wahid. She didn't trust herself to speak without breaking down in tears. She was hurt that Wahid completely broke her, but she was also scared of what would happen if she left him, she knew that it'll be hard enough to leave him, even if both of them wanted to end their marriage, their family won't let them and the worst thing is, she will be the one who'll get blamed just like how Amir blamed her.

Staying silent, Imaan looked away, not willing to look at him any longer.

Wahid was speechless as he stared at her unresponsive form.

As the plane began its descent into the runway, Imaan still hadn't said a word. Wahid was getting more and more frustrated by the second. He needed to hear her voice, to know where they stood, he wanted them to go back to how they were.

"Imaan, Just talk to me. We need to figure this out." Wahid said as they exited the plane.

Imaan took a deep breath and closed her eyes, trying to find the courage to speak. "I'm tired, Wahid"

"I can't do this any longer, did you how hurt I was? Did you even care when you pushed the soup towards me? Did you even care to ask me if I was okay?" Imaan asked, pain evident in her voice.

Wahid scoffed and rolled his eyes, "Oh please, don't be so dramatic. It's just soup, get over it already."

Imaan's eyes widened in disbelief at his callous response. "Just soup? You have no idea how much it hurt me, physically and emotionally. And to think that you don't even care..."

Wahid interrupted her, "Look, I don't have time for this. If you're gonna be so sensitive about everything, then maybe we're not meant to be together." He finally snapped,

Imaan's heart sank at his words. She had expected some empathy from him, some acknowledgment of her pain, but instead, all she got was a dismissal of her feelings. She realized then and there that Wahid was not the person she thought he was, and she deserved better than someone who couldn't even take responsibility for his actions.

Taking a deep breath, Imaan said, "Maybe you're right. Maybe we're not meant to be together. I deserve someone who can treat me with the respect I deserve."

With that, she turned and walked away, leaving Wahid to contemplate his actions and hopefully, learn from his mistakes.

Wahid watched as Imaan walked away, her figure becoming smaller and smaller in the distance. He knew he had messed up big time, but a part of him refused to accept it. He was certain that he wasn't wrong and that she was overreacting. "I don't need to apologize," he muttered to himself. "She's just being dramatic."

He followed Imaan at a distance, he couldn't bring himself to apologize again, He was too proud to admit that he was wrong and too selfish to see how much he had hurt her.

As they were going back home, Wahid's mind kept racing with different ways to justify his behavior. Maybe Imaan was too sensitive? Maybe she was overreacting? She had no right to talk to him like that, after all.

But the truth was, Wahid knew deep down that he had been a bad partner, but he couldn't help it, he didn't even want to marry her in the first place!

So he refused to apologize again, He didn't want to admit defeat. He didn't want to come out looking like the bad person in this situation. He was too consumed with his own ego to see the damage he had caused.

As they finally arrived home, Wahid silently put the key in the lock and opened the door.

Imaan followed him inside, but she didn't acknowledge him. She headed straight for the guest bedroom and closed the door behind her.

He felt a pang of guilt hit him as he stared at the closed door, he wanted to control his mouth and more importantly, his anger, but all the stress of his work prevented him from thinking properly.

The trip to Hawaii was planned for her to have a good time and to some extent for him too, but that was horribly ruined, and he couldn't blame anyone except his enemies who sabotaged his business plans and made him like this.

Anger welled up inside him as he thought about the disaster that he has to deal with, and now he has to deal with Imaan too.