Chapter 39

Imaan laid on the guest room bed, gazing up at the ceiling. She couldn't believe how much she has suffered ever since she got married.

It seemed like every time they took one step forward, they took two steps back. She couldn't keep living like this, it feels like she was walking on eggshells around her own husband.

What kind of marriage is that?

She pulled the covers around her, feeling the ache in her chest. She couldn't believe that the man she loved had hurt her so much. Physically, her burns would eventually fade, but emotionally, she wasn't sure how she could ever love him or even trust him again.

Imaan heard footsteps near the door and got alert, she's not ready for another round of argument.

She needed more time to think.

"Imaan, please come out and talk to me." Wahid's voice was soft, but she could hear the emotion in it.

She shook her head even though he cannot see her, "I don't think we have anything left to say to each other,"

After a few seconds, She heard him sigh, and then his footsteps as he walked away, She waited for a few minutes before laying back on the bed again, pouting.

Several minutes later, she heard his footsteps near the door along with the jingling sound of keys,

"I'll be back in a few hours. I need to clear my head." Wahid informed her before his footsteps finally faded away.

Imaan thought about leaving the house for few hours too, but she was afraid of being caught by him so after waiting for a few minutes to make sure he really left, She quickly made her way over to the door, grabbing her fardha and slipping on her shoes, She knew she needed to get out of the house as she felt suffocated inside, even just for a little while.

As she opened the main door to leave, she heard Wahid's pissed off voice behind her, "Where are you going?"

Imaan turned to him in shock and barely composed herself before spitting out a response, "I need to get some fresh air,"

"I think the air inside the house is fresh too" Wahid said darkly as he neared her,

'She locked herself in the room for half a day, only to leave the house the first chance she got'  Wahid thought infuriated, his heart welled up in anger as he observed her nervous form fidgeting with the door knob.

He noticed her untied shoe laces and a sneer appeared on his face,

'Is she that desperate to leave me,?'

"I just need to go out for a while!" Imaan said as she tried to open the door, she couldn't stand there any longer facing his anger, suddenly she felt him hug her from behind.

"Don't go" Wahid pleaded, trying to calm his emotions.

Feeling uncomfortable by his out of character behaviour, Imaan struggled to get out of his embrace.

"Please, let me go" She said as she tried to remove his hands

Wahid tightened his grip on Imaan and said seething with anger, "I don't think you understand. You're not leaving here. You're mine, and you always will be." Imaan felt a wave of fear wash over her as she struggled against Wahid's embrace.

Imaan struggled to break free from Wahid's grasp, feeling fear and discomfort rising in her. She tried to reason with him, "Wahid, please let me go. I need some space."

But he wouldn't budge.

"Don't leave me, Imaan, I'm your husband, won't you forgive me this once?" He whispered into her ears lightly as he held her tightly, refusing to let her leave.

Imaan kept struggling, and Wahid's only grip got tighter, making it hard for her to breathe.

Finally, Imaan managed to push him away and ran out of the house, gasping for air. She felt relieved to be out of his grasp, but the fear of what he might do next lingered in her mind.

As she ran, Imaan realized that she needed to get away from Wahid for good, she had never felt this kind of fear and heartache before and it was all caused by this one person.

Noticing him gaining on her, Imaan quickened up her speed,

The sound of Wahid's footsteps echoed through the empty neighborhood as he hurriedly followed his wife,

Wahid was determined to bring her back before the situation got any worse. Despite the cold wind whipping past him, Wahid's anger kept him warm as he charged after Imaan's retreating figure.

Wahid had always been a passionate and impulsive person, but he had never been this angry before. He couldn't understand why she is affecting him this much, He thought he would never have feelings for her, However, as he caught up to Imaam, he realized that he didn't really care about the reason anymore. He just wanted her back.

Imaan saw Wahid approaching and tried to quicken her pace, hoping she would be able to evade him. However, Wahid was too fast, and he quickly caught up to her. He grabbed her by the arm and pulled her close, his eyes blazing with fury.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" He yelled, his grip on her arm tightening.

"I...I just needed some space," Imaan said, her voice trembling with fear.

"Well, you shouldn't have taken it like this," Wahid growled, his face twisted in anger.

He dragged Imaan back to their home, ignoring her protests and pleas for him to let her go. Once they were inside, he pushed her up against the wall and slapped her across the face.

The sound of the slap reverberated around the hall, and Imaan let out a gasp of shock. She looked up at Wahid with tears in her eyes, unable to believe what had just happened.

Wahid paused for a moment, looking down at Imaan with a mix of anger and regret. He then slowly walked over to her and wrapped his arms around her, pulling her into a hug.

"I'm sorry," Wahid whispered, his voice choked with emotion. "I didn't mean to hurt you, but you made me like this,"

"You are to blame for this! I tried to push you away but you didn't listen! Now you can't leave me, Imaan, just don't leave me" He said, his voice low as he held her tightly.

Imaan didn't say anything, still stunned by what had just happened.

'this....mental case'

"You said you love me right? " Wahid asked, his voice soft and tender.

Imaan felt looked at him emotionlessly and didn't answer him.

'I don't anymore,' She answered in her mind but couldn't answer him directly.

She was afraid of angering him even more, and worse, getting slapped again.

Seeing her not answering, Wahid sighed before kissing her lightly, feeling the sparks on his heart.

Too bad, Imaan only felt pain

"I know you love me...I think I do too, you make me feel so many emotions, I know I may have acted negatively but I couldn't control myself around you" He babbled, finally admitting his feelings for the first time.

Imaan only stared at him blankly, seeing the man pouring his heart out after had just slapped her.

'What in the world'