II. Tornado - Part 14 - A Nova Vida

It was difficult for Beta Steeve not to spill the beans to his Alpha, but given Sophia's sadness, he knew he had no choice. Alpha Sloan had always had a soft spot for his youngest and since the incident with Doctor Adicost, he couldn't resist her. Besides, not only was Bella's safety his priority, but he also wanted to gain Mara's trust. Her reaction had been much calmer than when she had been attacked the week before. Orion had told them that Mara was uncomfortable with the sight of blood and all traces of violence. Yet she had kept her composure completely this time.

The fact that they agreed on what had happened the day before also made him doubt the version Sam and Orion had given them last week. If they changed the story yesterday, why wouldn't they have done it the time before? Beta Steeve wondered. He shared some of his doubts with his son, the ones he could, and the two of them decided on a strategy to get to the bottom of the story. Aaron also found Sam's turncoat suspicious and wanted to know the real story.

Mara had asked Beta Steeve to summon Bella and Adam's parents. She wanted to talk to them personally. In fact, she had already asked to see them the day before, but Anita, their mother, was in shock at the hospital and her mate, Mike, had refused to leave her. After making sure that Alpha Sloan's office was soundproof and that there were no hidden cameras or microphones, Mara invited them in. Beta Steeve was surprised to see that Julian was present for the meeting.

"Thank you for coming under such difficult circumstances. Mara thanked them as they sat down on the sofa opposite the office.

"I'm not going to beat around the bush, but first I need you to assure me that nothing that is said now will leave this room. Can I count on your silence?" She asked when neither of them answered her.

Both nodded.

"Both your children are fine. Bella is safe and Adam is recovering in a pack I know."

"What? H-How? I-it's not a joke?" Anita babbled as her mate stood up all at once.

"No, the subject is too serious to joke about. Those rogues came for your daughter and your son defended his older sister with great courage and bravery. Unfortunately he was badly injured and needs a healer. The doctors would not have healed him." Orion explained.

"My brother inherited the gift from our father but vowed never to set foot here again. So Julian transported Adam to him so he could save him. Bella wanted to go with him." Mara added.

"Thank you my goddess!" Mike said.

"Those rogues were there specifically for your daughter. That's why we think it would be best for now if she stayed with her brother in the other pack. We don't know why she was specifically targeted so the threat is still very real. She understood that she could not contact anyone here and she accepted that. So you can see why this information must remain between us." Orion explained.

"Quite so. Thank you for letting us know." Mike said, bowing his head as a sign of respect in both him and Mara.

"Could we talk to them? At least once, please?" requested Anita.

"That's the other reason why we wanted to see you. I can only imagine how difficult it must be to be away from your children. The need to see by yourself that they are well must be unbearable. Anita, I understand your sister lives in another pack 500 miles away. You're going to pretend to visit her because you can't stay here, that's too hard. Julian will wait for you a few miles across the border and teleport you to your children. Mara offered.

"Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!" Anita thanked them in relief.

"In the meantime, you must pretend to be unhappy and inconsolable. Do you feel up to it?" Mara asked.

"If not, I can order you to." Beta Steeve offered.

Before leaving, they agreed with Julian on where and when they would meet.

Once the couple had left, Beta Steeve thanked Mara for her kindness and good judgment. It would have been horrible to torture parents like that. They'd already sent tracketeers for nothing, Sophia was depressed, but at least they were doing the right thing. That was how Beta Steeve felt, however. They were all talking when someone rang the doorbell. When Violet entered the office, she became rigid and ran off before even saying a word. Julian was also rigid, his nostrils flaring.

"This is Violet, Niels' little sister." Mara clarified before he asked.

"That bastard's second victim!" He growled, his eyes darkening signaling that his wolf was on the surface.

"That's right." Orion confirmed.

"I'm gonna fucking kill that fucker!"

"Take care of her first. She's your priority, not him." Mara reminded him.

Julian nodded before going after Violet.

"What?!" Sam muttered in puzzlement.

" Mates?" Beta Steeve inquired. Mara and Orion nodded at the same time confirming his suspicion.

Orion and Sam were training outside in a clearing in the middle of the forest. It was a beautiful day and while working most of the day in an office, Orion practiced whenever he could outside. Mara watched them sitting on a blanket, Beta Steeve standing next to her.

"What did you say to Sam to make him change his mind?" He asked her, his eyes fixed on Orion and Sam.

"You don't think the attack shook him to the point that he took matters into his own hands?" Mara asked him in return.

"I was not born yesterday Mara. Don't insult my intelligence!"

"You are right. I told him the truth." Mara agreed.

"Which is?"

"That soon an Alpha or several will die and he has the potential to become one. He must be ready to take over." She whispered only for him to hear.

"Which Alphas are you talking about?" Beta Steeve asked her sharply, keeping his voice low.

"Not yours, relax. At least I hope not. You can figure out that these rogue attacks are too organized to be random. A rival pack is behind these attacks."

"That was the first attack since Julian's spells. But you're right and something tells me you already know which pack it is, don't you?"

"The goal now is to stop all the rogue acts so that the pack comes out of the shadows and acts openly against us." Mara explained.

"So we are not the attackers. That's clever, that's very clever." Recognized Beta Steeve.

They were interrupted by an intruder who jumped on Mara. Before Beta could react, Orion was already pulling the intruder off of Mara's back.

"This is how you protect your Luna, pathetic! The intruder stated.

A fierce fight began between the two. Sam wanted to help but Mara forbade him.

"I thought Julian's spell was supposed to warn you in these situations?" Sam asked her.

"She's not a threat." Mara replied.

"Give up Orion. You can't win." The woman stated.

"You know she's right. If you have the upper hand you will end up in the dog house so you can only let her win." Mara shouted to Orion.

"Listen to your Luna! My wolfie." The woman teased him.

"I'm screwed either way, aren't I?" Orion groaned.

"Exactly! Chess and math, buddy!" She answered triumphantly.

"Who are you, exactly?" Beta Steeve demanded.

She kissed Orion hungrily before answering, "Amaia, Orion's mate and Mara's Gamma female."

"Where is Matteo?" Orion inquired.

"With Haley and Dakini. It's too dangerous here." Amaia replied.

He sighed and nodded.

"Right! Obviously... Ahem! This is Sam, the Alpha's second son, and Beta Steeve." Orion introduced her.

"Nice to meet you. You might want to rethink your security we're going in here like a sieve!"