III. One Step Closer - Part 10 - Teardrop

Mara and Sage had fallen asleep on the beach where they had ended the night, Sage had shifted back into his wolf to envelop Mara in the warmth and softness of his fur. He was surprised to be alone when he woke up. However, when he looked up he could see Mara sitting on a rock, watching the waves. Hearing him move, Mara turned her head in his direction. Seeing him trot towards her, she smiled. She was dressed in a hoodie and Sage wondered where she had found it.

"Hello my big bad Alpha!" She smiled at him.

He shifted back so he could kiss her and hold her.

"Hello Baby!" He said to her between kisses.

"Last night was Wow! Thank you!" He whispered to her, wrapping his arms around her.

"I know! It was so amazing!" She replied.

He kissed the crown of her hair before taking a deep breath, surrounding himself with her scent, well their scents mixed together.

"The beach, on the other hand, is really not a good plan. I got sand everywhere." She added, making him laugh.

"Tell me about it! What a pain in the ass. We're good for the shower."

"We stink. We were good for a shower long before the sand. But it's really sticky everywhere. Like everywhere, everywhere!"

"I know what a bullshit in romantic movies. It leaves out all the inconveniences that goes with it."

"Sorry about your back, I think I scratched you." She apologised, changing the subject.

"Don't be. It was wild and I loved it. I can see why you wanted me out of control. You're so hot when you're wild!" he replied.

"I didn't think you could use your claws, though." He added. Indeed, he had felt her wolf claws and not just her nails.

"It's the only thing I can do. I'm not sure I could mark you."

"Is that why you want us to wait?"

"Partly, but that's not all. There are still things you don't know about me."

"Then tell me everything. You know I'd never let you go. And if you decide to leave I'll follow you. So why wait?"

Remembering Orion's words, he added, "Does it have to do with your tattoos?"

But before she could answer, they were interrupted by Aaron who contacted them through the mindlink: "Alpha, Luna, sorry to bother you but we had an attempted break-in. It's Calvin. He's here for Sofia."

"Amaia and Orion dropped off some clothes for us if you want." Mara said to him, leaving his arms.

"We'll be there as soon as we can." Sage replied to Aaron.

"Let's go. We have a shower to take before we join them." Sage sighed, getting dressed.

"No, the shower will wait." Mara retorted.

"Doesn't it bother you that everyone knows what we did all night? We smell of sex and passion."

"We're mates, it's expected of us and completely normal. Besides, this way we'll shut down the claptrap of those who say we're not compatible and sexually satisfied."

Sage shook his head, his mate was really something else. He felt lucky. He watched her take off her hoodies to get dressed when he saw the marks on her back.

" Shit, Mara! Your back. I'm so sorry! I should have been more careful!" He shouted at her in horror.

She burst out laughing. A real laugh, it was the first time he made her laugh. It left him speechless.

"Yeah, well... Slamming me against the trees wasn't such a good idea, my bad. Next time we'll stick to the walls." she giggled.

Damn! Hearing her laugh was a huge turn on for Sage and he swore to himself to make har laugh again as soon as he could.

Once dressed, they began to walk.

"I'll let you handle it, you're my Alpha after all." Sage told her.

"You know that's not the right direction." He added when he saw the path she was taking.

"I know, but we need to talk to your sister first."

"I don't know if that's a good idea..." Sage replied.

"It's her mate we're talking about. I know it's still a sore subject for you, but Sophia made that choice for good reasons. She was just trying to save you. She was betrayed in the worst way possible." Mara told him.

"Even... I don't think we should go like this." Sage told her, uncomfortably.

"Hmm... You don't want your parents to see us like this. Why not? They'll be happy to see that things are going well between us, right?" Mara asked him.

"Yeah...." He responded scratching the back of his neck.

"Fine." She replied before stopping. He saw her mindlink someone.

"Amaia and Orion will meet us with Sophia on the way." She told him before walking in the right direction this time.

Ten minutes later, Amaia, Sophia and Orion had joined them, Sage was surprised at the state of his sister. She was miserable. He felt guilty, he could be as angry as he wanted, now his little sister needed support. Seeing her so sad made him realize in which impossible situation she was. He ran over to her to take her in his arms.

"I'm sorry Sophia. It's going to take me some time to forgive you but I'm here to support you. I love you nothing can change that." He whispered to her.

Sophia sobbed: "I'm sorry Sage. I just wanted to make sure I didn't lose you. I was so stupid to believe him, to buy into his words."

"No, it's your mate. It's his fault. No one should use such a sacred bond like that." Sage replied, wiping her tears with his thumbs.

"Even... I should never have agreed to sacrifice your mate for mine." Sophia uttered.

"I'm sorry, Luna." She added looking at Mara.

"Mara, that's enough. And don't worry, water under the bridge. It's already forgotten." Mara said.

"Why do you want to see me then?" Sophia inquired.

"Calvin tried to force his way into our land. He demands to see you. Given the situation, I want to know what you want to do. Not see him, see him, follow him..."

"I want him to pay!" She growled, her eyes changing colour, her wolf on the surface.

"I can deal with him permanently, if you want." Sage offered her.

"No, that's too sweet. I want him to suffer. Let him see his world crumble as mine has crumbled." Sophia hissed.

"In that case, what do you have in mind?" Mara questioned her.

"What if I follow him and spy for you?" Sophia offered.

"No, it's a no go Sophia. No way! It's too dangerous, especially after hearing what he wants to do to you." Sage refused, his tone leaving no room for negotiation.

"Are you going to destroy their pack?" Sophia asked Mara.

"That's the point. No one attacks my pack without paying the consequences." Mara replied.

"Okay... I want to see it one last time then." Sophia said.

"Let's go then." Mara stated.

Once they reached the border and before anyone could speak, Sophia threw herself into Calvin's arms, before kneeing him between the legs.

"I, Sophia Samuel, reject you Calvin Moroe as my mate. Go burn in hell, asshole." Sophia said in a loud voice before turning her back on him and walking away.

"You will pay for that bitch!" He snarled, making Sage growl.

Mara stopped him when he wants to walk toward Calvin.

"Leave my territory, before I change my mind and kill you." Sage ordered him.