Chapter 13

Kyoshi had spent nearly the entire next day trying to do research on spirit cults, or gatherings as the man referred to them as. She had stopped by the cell again earlier to find that he wasn't in the mood for talking anymore. He seemed more spirit than man now, his voice echoing, and odd movements, like when she had first seen him. Not really 100% there anymore. Like there was something else in the room with them. But nonetheless he still said nothing.

"Kyoshi it's late." Jinpa said, tapping her in the shoulder. "You're still up aren't you? Why are you here anyway." She responded, putting the book back where she had removed it from the shelf.

"I figured I'd find you here" He smiled smugly. "Of course you would."

"What are you researching this time anyway?" He asked, examining the books. "I was trying to look at beliefs, belief systems? I honestly don't really know." She admitted.

"The guy we have captive stopped talking so I thought I would try and find a lead elsewhere." Jinpa just sighed, "Just go to sleep, even if you do find something at this hour you won't remember it anyway"

"Fine," Kyoshi said, taking another book off the shelf. "But I'm taking this with me"

"Hey where's your built-in alarm system anyway?" He asked as they walked out of the library and into the dark courtyard. Kyoshi thought for a moment, it was odd that Jinpa had found her first, normally Rangi would have dragged her away from any work by this time.

"I actually don't know," Kyoshi admitted. "I'm sure she's fine," Jinpa said as they continued to walk. "Yeah of course she's fine, why wouldn't she be?" She responded.

But a small wave of panic still flooded her body, all of the small what ifs, she just had to have them answered. "Just go, but for the love of Rava go sleep after" Jinpa said having sensed Kyoshi's urgency to find the firebender.

"I will, promise"

After they had captured one of the members the disturbances seemed to have come to a halt, which was good. But Kyoshi's mind still jumped to the worst case scenarios. It was hard not to. One hour, she told herself. If she couldn't find her in one hour she would panic.

After a while of wandering around the grounds she finally found the fire bender in a training room Kyoshi watched for a minute as the fire bender's back was turned to her while she produced magnificent flames. They were as strong as they were before the incident, if not stronger. "When did that happen?" Kyoshi asked as she walked up. "Believe it or not your stupid little 'it all just clicks' theory has some weight to it." Rangi replied, as she produced two twisting flames.

"It was during the last attack at the wall of the palace." She explained.

"I don't remember you using any firebending, I thought you were just using hand to hand combat." Kyoshi recalled.

"That's because you had passed out, and you were flickering in and out of the avatar state. Remember?"

"Oh yeah right, so what triggered the click then?" Kyoshi asked, rubbing the back of her neck awkwardly.

"I had to protect you dummy." Rangi replied, watching as the Avatar's face went red.

"I can't believe I missed it"

"Me too, but you were a little too busy being passed out on the ground in front of me."

Kyoshi just laughed as they left the room. This made Kyoshi more confident in the possibility of her accepting the invitation, now that Rangi's bending seemed to have returned to its prior strength, and force.

"So why were you out this late?"

"Hey you can't be mad at me you were too" Kyoshi argued. "You act like I'm always mad," Rangi said defensively, crossing her arms. "You always seem mad at me then, for one thing or the other."