Chapter 35

The group had sort of settled into the room, mostly just sitting on the floor as there weren't that many actual places to sit. The mother however had insisted that Kyoshi take her seat, which Kyoshi declined politely and took a seat next to Rangi on the floor.

"Can you tell us anything about what happened?" Kyoshi found herself asking, as a saddened look crossed the man face.

He launched into an explaination of what had been going on, and why no one was on the street. The balanced nation's small army had come, quickly taking over. As this remote town didn't get a whole lot of extra support for their defenses.

"At first the group didn't seem that strong" He went on. When the balnced nation had come through the town he explained that the first bunch of men just seemed to be all talk. Talk that seemed crazy, talking about spirit conversions and other nonsense they had never heard before.

But then there were a few, only a few that weren't normal. Not human was the words the husband used to describe them as. They had enough to overpower the defenses and take over.

"After that, that's when they started putting in all the new rules." He explained. "No one is supposed to be out after dark otherwise they would be taken away. My brother tried and saw the same fate. I still don't know if he's alive or dead"

"Do you know where they could be taking them?" Rangi asked.

He just shook his head. "We don't know anything, though it's rumored that thoese who are taken are brainwashed into joining them."

Kyoshi thought on that for a second, could he be referring to people fusising woth spirits as the brain washing? She knew that spirits could corrupt thoughts. But people still had a choice, otherwise the spirit surly wouldn't bond woth them. Unless Naruklok found a way around that, or he could still of just be killing hostages.

"Thank you for your hospitality." Kyoshi said as she stood, bowing before the couple. "We'll be off now."

The couple had offered that they could stay there, saying it was the least they could do for trying to help. Even though the space would not be nearly big enough, the act of kindness filled Kyoshi's heart with warmth.

"Thank you, but I'd hate to be the reason you'd get in trouble. We'll be fine out there, if you could just help keep watch as we sneak out, it will be like we were never here" Kyoshi explained.

One by one they slide out of the house. Making sure the coast was clear first. Kyoshi being the last to leave offered her gratitude once more before slipping into the night to join the others.

"We should have taken their offer to stay in a house," Wong whispered, probably realizing how cold it got often when the sun was completely below the horizon.

"We were not going to intrude on them like that, just keep going," Rangi whispered ordered back to him.

It was then that there was a faint noise. Footsteps

They were barely audible, but it was definitely someone outside lurking in the shadows of the abandoned street. They had been found.

Rangi looked up at Kyoshi to see if she could tell what was going through her mind. But the tracks got louder, and louder until they suddenly sounded like they had spit. Definitely two or more people.

When she looked back to Kyoshi again she watched as she drew a circle in the air. So they would stand their ground, they had already been discovered so there was hardly a point at trying to simply slip out now. But at least they didn't tie their tracts to the family that so graciously offered them information.