Today was different. There was an undercurrent of something I couldn't quite put my finger on—a shift in the dynamic between Princess Irmina and me. As much as I try to deny it, I can't ignore the strange feelings that stirred within me.

Her usual mischievous pranks and impulsive nature were ever-present, but today they held a different weight. There was an unfamiliar spark, an unspoken tension that lingered in the air between us. Each accidental touch, each fleeting moment of connection, seemed to carry a heightened significance.

When she stumbled and I caught her, our bodies pressed together for a brief moment, I felt something I hadn't anticipated. Time stood still as our eyes locked, and it was as if the world around us faded away, leaving only the intensity of that moment. It sent a jolt through me. 

Gods, no. 

But just as quickly as the moment came, we hastily released each other, stepping back as if we had been burned. 

It would've been better if it was a burn.

Throughout the day, accidental touches continued to occur between us, each one stirring something within me. Her arm brushing against mine, our hands briefly meeting—it all felt strangely electric, leaving me unsettled. 

It started with me staring at her last night and now it's gotten 10 times worse. 

I have to end her. I have to. This isn't a situation where I should be... 

What am I doing? 

As we walked side by side, her arm grazing against mine, I couldn't help but question why today felt different. Was it merely my imagination, playing tricks on me? 

 I can't escape the nagging question in my mind: Why did today feel different? Why did those accidental touches and fleeting glances affect me in a way they never had before?

Is it because she was taken yesterday? Did that worry me so much? 

I take a deep breath.

No, it didn't. I don't care about her.

Tomorrow is a new day, and I must approach it with renewed focus and resolve. I will maintain a professional distance. Both emotionally and physically. 

There's no other option. 

A sudden caw from a crow at the window disrupts my thoughts. 

A message. 

I get up, looking down at the princess in her sleep. My chest lowers as I sigh. 

Why is that the moon light blesses her so? Even though she is as frustrating as she is. 

Shaking my head, I open the window. Attached to the crow's feet is a small bundle of paper. 

This is why I am here. 

I take the note and open it. 

Use this crow as a messenger. You have until the Blue moon's festival to complete your task. 

Blue moon's festival. That's in nearly 8 months. I have time.

I clench the note in my fist and take another deep breath. 

I've done this before. I can do this again. She isn't a person, simply a target. 

I turn away from the princess. 

No one, not even myself, will stop me from doing this. 

Irmina

"We have to what?" Sofie asks the king's messenger.