Irmina

My head pounds as darkness fills my view. I slowly open my eyelids to the warm sun, as my joints crack and pop while I sit up in bed.

What happened?

Running through the forest, Jax's lesson, attacked by assassins-

I gasp, grabbing my arm. A cloth bandage wraps around the place that was skimmed.

How am I here? There was nobody around to save me. I was surrounded.

"Princess!" Dishes crash on the ground as I turn my head to see Sofie's arms spread wide open. I open my mouth to save myself from her embrace but she beats me to it, caging me in her suffocating hug.

"Sofie-please. I need to breathe!" I manage to croak out. She pulls back immediately, her huge brown eyes filled with tears.

"Princess, I'm never helping you out again! You're not leaving this castle unless your father wants you to. You almost died!" My mouth drops open as she shakes her head at me.

She can't be serious.

"Sofie, I can't be in this box all the time. Please! You said you were on my side!" My jaw hangs as she turns her head, ignoring me.

What does this mean? Am I going to be stuck in this castle forever? What about my lessons?

"Sofie, pleas-" The door bursts open, my father and his guards hurrying into the room. I sigh.

This is all his fault.

"Irmina! What were you doing outside the palace!? Y-you made me worry." He says, sitting by my side as I turn away from his gaze, crossing my arms on my chest.

He doesn't already know? He doesn't get it?

"I hate it stuck inside here. You're so scared of what will happen to me, you don't even care how suffocating this castle, these blankets, and you are." I breathe out, the walls around me even thicker, longer, and looming than ever before.

I'm in prison.

"You should know that everything I do is for your good. Don't you ever leave this palace without my knowledge!" He shouts, his voice echoing in the depths of room.

"You can't keep me here. Mom used to love the forest. She-" A knot grows in my throat as my father looks down at me.

I flinch as a cool drop of his tears fall upon my face.

Tears...?

"I couldn't keep her from it. I didn't realize I should have been protecting her from it." The blanket around me wrinkles as Father grips with his fist. My stare is locked as the droplets pave streaks of grief across his face, paths I've never seen before.

"When I heard you were injured in the forest, I thought I'd have to go through it again. Losing the person I love the most. So no, you're not allowed to leave this palace. You will not go anywhere without my knowledge. Do you understand?" His robes lift and fall, as his breaths grow deep. I nod, my body losing every ounce of resistance.

"Father, I didn't know you..." My words draw away from me as I watch him rise.

"This is why I'm assigning you a personal guard."

What. A personal guard?

My gaze shoots to Sofie. Her wide eyes and gaping mouth mirror mine.

He can't do this.

Tears fill my eyes as I meet his unfettering glare.

He's serious about this. I won't be able to sneak out anymore or relax with Sofie. Whoever this guard is will constantly be watching me.

I swallow back a sob.

"So... you want me spend the rest of my life chained by duty. Like you? You let mom die because you were too busy with this damn kingdom!" My voice echoes through the room as a hush falls upon the room.

"I know that. That's why I'll never make the same mistake again. Excuse me." With that, he turns and leaves. His posy scurries behind him and the wetness trials down my cheeks.

Warmth spreads from my shoulder as I look up and make eye contact with Sofie. Her up turned eyebrows offer me comfort but I avert my gaze.

How could I say that to him?

I know better than anyone he suffered the most when Mother died.

So how could I...?

Sobs rack through me, shaking my body as Sofie warm hand grows into a tight hug.

"He's trapped me in this prison and uses Mom as an excuse to keep me here." Sofie pats the back of my head, soothing my wild curls.

"You almost died, Princess. I know you enjoy freedom, but please imagine how that might affect the King." I pout, pushing out of her grasp.

"You're supposed to by on my side." I cross my arms, ignoring the mess I made across her apron. She takes a step towards me.

"And I am. I was scared too, seeing you covered in blood. You can't be this reckless. We can't be this reckless." Sofie gives me a grin but I sigh.

"Take me to my room. I'd rather be in the comfort of my bed when I meet this 'guard' he's assigned to me."

~~~

"Sofie, you can't be serious!"

"You're damn right I am. Now come here!"

"Wait let's just talk about this first."

I plead as she rounds the corner, taking huge steps, each resembling a leap.

"I can't eat that. Tomatoes are gross!" I shout, staring at the tomato skewed onto my fork in Sofie's hand.

"You are unwell right now, and need to eat things other than chocolates and biscuits. Now open up and stop running away from me." She nearly reaches me, as I hop onto the bed, rolling on my side and jump off. I turn to her with a smirk.

"You'll never catch me! Hah hah ha-" The creaking of the door freezes both me and Sofie.

Oh no.

The guard.

I forgot all about that.

My hair bounces as I whip around towards the door. My father stands there, in all his glory and yet the young man beside him captures my gaze.

So this is the guard to my prison here.

"Irmina, I am here to introduce Ezio, your personal guard, to you. He will begin serving you from tonight and I won't hear any argument, okay?" My father bellows. I nod, unable to look him in the eyes.

"Nice to meet you, Princess. I'm pleased to be your guard." He bows.

I scoff.

We'll see how long he lasts. He might as well think of me as the demon himself because I'm going to make his life, hell.

--------

-Sooo what do we think?