III

Ezio

I stare at the ground as my head hangs.

He usually doesn't call me unless his enemies are acting up. From what I've heard, they've been lying pretty low. I've killed half of them already.

"Ezio, I'm going to make a deal with you. That's how important this is to me." His raspy voice echoes in the darkness of the hall as I look up at him.

"A deal?" I ask.

Deals with him always end badly. It's either something so risky he can't order it, or something sneaky and you might lose your life doing it.

I can't die for this pig.

"I want you to become the guard of the only princess of The Sun Kingdom, befriend her, and then kill her. I'll give you time to do whatever necessary." He says, his hidden face in the darkness only showing the white of his smirk.

I've learned not to ask why when he asks me to kill someone, but the first and only princess, Irmina? Kill her? I'd be caught and killed in a month.

"I'll have to decline this deal, my King." I say, bowing my head to him again. His laugh echoes through the space, rumbling as the anger in my heart boils.

I'd stab this bug in the throat if I could.

"What if I say that if you complete this task, I'll give you and your little sister freedom. You won't have to do another mission every again." I tense, my eyes widening as I stare hard at the ground.

There is no way he's being serious, is there?

"My King, please do not lie to me." I breathe out, my heart beating harder in my chest.

Freedom. Freedom from this kingdom, this king, and the resistance on my back.

"Have I ever lied before? If you go and kill that princess, I'll let your sister out her prison, give you enough money to last 10 years and never contact you again. Just this last mission for my greatest assassin." He says. My body trembles.

This is too amazing. This is too good to be true. It's also near impossible.

"Please give me until the end of my visit, my King." I plead. He hums and I bow deeper. Turning to leave, my heart pounds hard as I push open the door. I nod to the guards, continuing towards the only place I come here for, other than his orders.

My sister's prison.

Years of her being imprisoned and all I can do is visit her, while the outside world threatens to consume me in everyone's own selfish desires.

No one cares about my sister and I, so why should we fight with them? Only one person has sword to my throat and that's who I work for.

The door creaks open as I twist the knob. My eyes lay on my sister's figure. Her long brown hair flows from her head to her knees as she stares out of her window. She doesn't look my way as she slowly lifts a hand, placing it against the stained glass window.

A stabbing pain shoots through me as I shut the door behind me. The sound snaps her out of her trance, as her dull eyes from before brighten. She smiles brightly, her freckles taking the curve of her smile as she leaps towards me. Laughing, she jumps into my arms. I spin her around, smiling wide as she laughs loudly. Throwing her into her pink big bed, we laugh.

"I missed you, Ezio!" She screams, wrapping her arms even tighter around me as I push her away by her forehead.

"I missed you too, you monkey." I say as she fakes a pout. We sit across each other as she explains the sights she saw from her windows.

If she wasn't in this room, if she was free, she could go wherever she wanted to and make stories of her own.

I can...

"Why don't you stay? Can't you convince the King to make you stay?" She whines, tears coming to her eyes as I frown. My arms wrap around her head as we lean against head board of her bed.

"You know that's not allowed. We've tried. You're 14 now try to understand." Hiding under the bed doesn't work either.

The King wants me to feel the pain of not being with my family, even after he stole everything and one away from me. From us.

Freedom is the only thing I want back from him. My sister deserves more than this. I'll die for it.

It's better than living like this.

Loud knocks at the door shake the room. My sister tightens her hold on me as I sigh.

I'll get her out. I'll do it.

"Listen, Ixo. I'll be back soon and I'll make sure to take me with you." I say, she pulls back, her eyes wide as her jaw drops open.

"Really?" She gasps, as I climb off the bed.

"Of course. I'm not sure how long, but wait for me, ok?" I say, as the door open, guards stand waiting for me.

"It's time to leave, soldier Ezio." They say in unison. I nod, as my sister sits on the bed ith big hopeful eyes. I slip my hand under my black robe, pulling out a small journal and leaving it on the bed next to her.

"I'll be back soon." I wave, walking out of the room. She waves back to me, her smile fading away just as the door closes behind me.

I clench my fists.

Even if it means giving my life, I won't let my sister keep living like this. All these years of killing and losing the innocence of a child, has paid off.

I'll kill the princess and free my sister.

I pull open the doors to the throne room. The King continues to sit in the black as I stop exactly 6 steps into the space, bowing again.

"I'll agree to this deal on one condition." I say, my eyes staring at the ground. He hums curiously.

"And what is that?" He asks. I lift my head, looking towards the sound of his voice.

"Whether I fail or accomplish this mission, I want my sister's freedom promised." I state, my nails biting into my palm.

I'll stand my ground this time. I'll kill the princess and deal with whatever consequence as long as my sister can feel the wind in her hair soon.

"Fine. But you better accomplish it." His tone turns dark as I nod.

"Of course, my King. I'll kill the first princess of the Sun Kingdom, Irmina."

I'll be selfish.