Prologue

Dear Ty,

It is good to finally hear from you after all these months. Your father and I were starting to get worried, although your Dad would never admit it, he misses you. But you know him, stubborn as always. When he gets something in his head, there's no changing it.

We're glad to hear you found a job in B.C., but you didn't mention what it was. Well whatever it is I’m sure it is good for now, and you will find something better. Do you know if they still are handing out free land there? That wouldn't last forever, and its a golden opportunity if you plan staying out west..

Even so, I still, and never will understand why you've gone to seek your fortune so far away. There is plenty of good jobs here, and much more established. The west is still wild and unpredictable, and we don't get to see you. I talked to Mr. O'Maley the other day, he needs men and is hiring. If you came back I’m sure he would get you something better than whatever you found there. There is only farmers, ranchers, and miners in B.C., so unless you plan on owning land, whats the point?

Your father's health is continuing to decline I’m afraid, and I’m getting worried. Doctor Franklin says he should quit smoking his pipe, to help with his cough. He says he caught tuberculosis. Your father refuses to stop smoking though, he even says it helps him, what a lark!

Could you write him? You two had such an angry parting, like two goats butting heads. You can be as stubborn as your old man some times, and you are more alike than you think. That's why you don't get along with him. I could see it in his face that he was deeply hurt, and was sorry for the things he had said. He will never be the first to admit he was wrong though, and will remain a foolish old man unless you come to him first. He won't live forever, but you can make him happy with a few kind letters .

Your Uncle Harvey says hi, as does his wife Bertha. They just got back from New York a few days ago. They seemed happy as always, but your Uncle seems a little worried. You probably have read in the newspapers, but he was telling me something about the stock market crashing. I really don't know what it is about, and why some bankers losing money in New York would affect regular folk like us. Your Uncle says it affects everybody though. He said there was mad panic on the streets, and even people jumping from buildings, committing suicide. Just awful. They are calling it Black Thursday or something grim like that. Well we are in Sudbury, so I don't think it will touch us here.

Enough scary talk. We both miss you very much Ty, and hope you will visit us soon. Please stay in touch, we love reading your letters. Whatever you decide, we will be behind you, even if your Dad says otherwise. I hope to read from you soon!

Love always,

Mom