1980

“Our next stop is the famous McConnell House.” The ghost tour guide said, leading her group to the front of the house. “Today the house is a restaurant, and also a historical landmark of the city.  Perhaps some of you have dined here before?”

“I heard the place was haunted.” A woman in the group said.  She had long brown hair, pretty brown eyes and a cute face.  She was standing with a slender blond man with glasses.

“Aha, yes!  I was about to get to that.  The house was built in 1906 by a Captain Richard McConnell of the RCMP.  While still in construction his wife died, as well as his unborn child.  Not long after another was murdered in the same room.

Six years later the fire captain bought the house.  He moved in with his wife, as well as his monkey and bear.  The wife and bear died soon after.”

“Aww that poor bear.” The woman wiped a tear away as the man hugged her.

“The place pretty much was cursed after that, until 1948 when the city purchased the house.  It then remained abandoned for years until recently, when they decided to turn it into a restaurant.”

“There was no other incidents since that happened?” The man asked.

“There have been rumors.  Some people have reported strange things happening while dining here, as well as some of the staff.  Some diners have seen a man downstairs in the dining area, screaming at himself in a mirror.  Others have seen another man upstairs, naked.  The kitchen staff has had their pots and pans thrown around by an invisible force, who screamed like a monkey.  There have even been people in my tour groups who have seen a woman standing upstairs, staring out the window.”

The tour group chuckled, entertained by the unexpected ghost story.

“Have you ever seen anything?” The pretty woman said.

“Me?  No, nothing at all.  The house is open from 10 AM to 7 PM Monday to Friday.  Maybe if you went and had dinner, you might glimpse something yourself.  Now, let’s move on.  Our next stop is Inglewood Bridge, where people have said they have heard a kid crying help...”

The tour guide led the group away.  Everyone kept close, hanging on her every word.  Except one.  An old man stayed behind, looking up at the house.  He had a cane, and had a hard time moving.  He must have been big once, but now was bent over.  He wore a Royal Canadian Legion beret, as he had served in World War 2.  Sticking in it was a fake poppy, for Remembrance Day.

Looking down at him from the second floor was a woman, wearing white.