1912 Part 2

Things went back to normal that week. Cappy had the men searched the city for Abby, even bullying Police Chief Moony to have his own policemen keep an eye out for her. But no one had seen her, with no reports of a crazy monkey on the loose. Cappy was more then disappointed. When Abby had run off he was sure she would come back on her own, and if not be found. How could a full grown monkey not be spotted in a city like Calgary. It certainly was unsual. Horses and cows yes, monkey's no. But still, no reports at all.

Cappy was gloomy the whole week. Martha and his firemen had to tip toe around him, or he would lash out over the tiniest infracture. But as the weekend approached, Cappy's spirits soared. Boxing matches were planned for the weekend to test out Cappy's “new” boxing ring.

Police Chief Moony had been bragging lately about a new officer from England. Before coming to Canada to be a police officer, Alfred Parks was a heavyweight champion in the Amateur Boxing Association. He was 6'4”, 210 pounts, and had a record of 14-1-2 with 12 knockouts. Moony wouldn't shut up about how Alfred was the defacto best boxer in Calgary. Cappy had heard that before. Moony was saying the same thing two years ago about a mute giant named Parker. Cappy's best boxer Randy Parsons KOed Parker in the third round when they met. Moony never forgot.

When Cappy was younger, he was a fine boxer himself. Now he considered himself a fine trainer. He had a tendancy to hire firemen who he thought looked like they could hold themselves in the ring. Because of that, he had produced many fine amateur boxers himself over the years, and wasn't afraid to brag about it to anyone who would listen, and even to those who didn't. Police Chief Moony found this aggravating to no end, going so far as to lure Alfred Parks all the way to Calgary just to fight in a boxing match.

Cappy was sticking with Randy Parsons for this match. At 6'1” 185 pounds he was signifantly smaller then Parks, but he had experience agaisnt bigger men. Cappy was counting on the same strategy as when Parsons defeated Parker.

The big day came on Saturday. It was a sunny July day. People from all over the city starting heading to Cappy's new place. Calgary was becoming a big city, for Canada, but it still had a small town mentality.

George Moony and the Calgary Police had a strong presence. Finally they had a man who would put Cappy in his place. Sure Robert Parsons was a good fighter. But they had a real boxer, a champion.

There was heavy betting at the event, even with all the police. Most of the betting were by police officers to begin with, so confident they were in their man.

The boxing ring was on Cappy's grounds, under a tent to keep the sun out. The tent was better then the building Mayor Feeley had built for them (The Mayor was also at the event, smiling like a loon). The ring was old, but Cappy's men had worked on it the night before, and it was in tip top shape. People were cheering a fight going on between two firemen, a warm up for the big fight.

Cappy was inside with his fighter Parsons, warming him up.

“Remember to stick and jab Randy. He's much bigger then you, but he is also more skilled then anyone you have fought before. You have to take him serious.” Cappy said.

“I know Cappy, you don't have to worry. I'm ready for this.” Parsons said.

“This bloody limey is going to be cocky. Use that agaisnt him. You are true Canadian steel, show him what we are made of.”

“Yes Cappy, I know.”

“Jim, when are these people going away?” Martha was in the room's doorway, hands on hip.

“After the fight Martha.” Cappy said.

“Is it almost over?”

“The big fight Martha! It hasn't even started.”