A Normal Family Dinner

The court dispersed immediately after the King was rushed out. I returned to Aegon's room until Ser Arryk came a few hours later to call me for dinner. I followed him to the hall where everyone, except the King, had already gathered. It was Viserys' last, and maybe only, dinner with his entire family. He died believing he had united them but unfortunately, the family could not even stay civil for a few minutes after Viserys was carried away. I intended to change the outcome of this dinner.

I took my seat between Helaena and Jace. Shortly after, the King was carried in and sat between Rhaenyra and Alicent.

"How good it is... to see you all tonight... together." Viserys finally spoke up, officially beginning the dinner.

"Prayer before we begin?" Alicent asked.

"Yes." The King responded slowly.

"May the Mother smile down on this gathering with love. May the Smith mend the bonds
that have been broken for far too long. And to Vaemond Velaryon, may the gods give him rest."

Everyone sat solemnly except for Daemon, who smiled smugly as Alicent finished her prayer.

"This is an occasion for celebration, it seems." Viserys began. "My grandsons, Jace and Luke, will marry their cousins, Baela and Rhaena, further strengthening the bond between our houses. A toast to the young Princes... and their betrothed."

"Hear, Hear!" Daemon said loudly.

I remembered at this point Aegon became a dick to Jace. Fortunately, dick Aegon was no longer here. I instead chose to stay quiet.

"Let us toast as well Prince Lucerys..." Viserys spoke once more. "...the future Lord of the Tides."

"Hear, hear!" this time Rhaenyra said emphatically.

"You'll be great," Rhaena encouraged.

I stayed silent for a few moments and then I placed my hand on Jace's shoulder.

"Congratulations, nephews," I said genuinely. There was a sudden silence across the table. Everyone looked at me awkwardly. I looked at Jace and Luke and they seemed as if they had no idea how to respond to that. I could sense Aemond's eye boring a hole in the side of my head. Daemon and Rhaenyra give me a suspicious look.

Luckily, Viserys began to stand up, taking everyone's attention upon himself.

"It both gladdens my heart... and fills me with sorrow... to see these faces around the table. The faces... most dear to me in all the world... yet grown so distant from each other... in the years past."

Viserys takes off the gold mask covering half his face. He was missing an eye and there was a hole in his cheek showing the insides of his mouth. Almost everyone from the greens diverted their gaze but surprisingly, Rhaenyra and her kids looked straight at the King.

"My own face... is no longer a handsome one... if indeed it ever was. But tonight... I wish you to see me... as I am. Not just a King... but your father. Your brother. Your husband... and your grandsire. Who may not, it seems... walk for much longer among you. Let us no longer hold ill feelings in our hearts. The crown cannot stand strong if the House of the Dragon remains divided. But set aside your grievances. If not for the sake of the crown... then for the sake of this old man who loves you all... so dearly."

There was an uncomfortable silence around the table as Viserys struggled back into his seat.

"I wish to raise my cup to Her Grace, the Queen," Rhaenyra said, standing up and cutting through the tension. "I love my father. But I must admit that no one has stood... more loyally by his side than his good wife."