Promise of a Better Future

I tried chasing after Aemond, but he was long gone. I turned back to the dining hall and saw Alicent holding Rhaenyra's hand. It was only then that I remembered that the two old friends shared one final, civilized, moment before all hell broke loose. I watched everyone disperse, not sure what exactly to do. I walked out to the hallway and saw Helaena turning a corner. Instinctively I ran after her. She must have heard me because she stopped and turned around. I caught up to her and awkwardly stood in front of her. She observed me for a few seconds before turning and continuing to walk. I started following her, a few paces behind.

"Is he still in there?" Helaena asked abruptly.

"What?" I asked, not certain what she meant. Helaena halted in front of a wooden door and turned to look at me.

"Aegon? Is he still there, or is he completely gone?"

She couldn't possibly be asking what I think she was... right? I know she's a dreamer and I have acted not-Aegon like all day, but I think that "striking realization" remark was a good cover-up.

Maybe not good enough.

Helaena patiently looked at my face.

"I- I'm not sure what you mean," I murmured.

"What is your name?" she whispered.

Well, there goes all doubt.

"I... I can't remember." I said truthfully, surprising myself as well.

What the hell? Why didn't I remember anything? I remember I was not Aegon. I remember that all of this was a show. But I couldn't remember anything beyond that about my old life. Not even my life. This was bizarre.

Helaena watched me process this and I could tell she believed me.

"But you are not Aegon, are you?" she asked softly, I could sense the hope in her voice.

"I am not," I answered.

"Does any part of him remain?"

"Just his memories. And this body."

Helaena shifted her eyes and gave a few slight nods. She then opened the wooden door and stepped inside. I remained standing where I had. Helaena then turned around and leaned against the open door. She did not say anything, but it seemed like she was inviting me in.

Though I wasn't sure, I hesitantly took a slow step toward the open door. Helaena stepped back allowing me entry. It took me only a glance to determine that it was her room that she had invited me into. I wasn't sure what to expect as I closed the door behind me.

"How are you here?" Helaena asked, forcing me to turn around quickly. I looked at her curiously while she in return stared patiently.

"I am unsure," I answered honestly. I know I couldn't explain what happened because I didn't know either, but I also couldn't tell her she was a fictional character. After a moment's pause, I came up with a story.

"I was born ages after now. Everything that is happening to you has long passed in my time. And much happened after. An era of tragedy..."

"The Dance of the Dragons," Helaena cut me off.

"The history books were right about you; you are a dreamer."

"History books?" Helaena asked, confused.

"In my time, all that is happening now has all been history," Technically I still hadn't said anything wrong. Helaena looked at me surprisingly, probably trying to digest everything I was saying.

"I fell asleep reading one of the history books and woke up today, like this." It was the first actual lie I had told Helaena, but it was the closest thing I could think of without telling her in my world she was just a character in a show.

We remained quiet as she processed everything.

"If all this is history, you must know how the Dance ends," Helaena's eyes were glistening as she asked. I could tell her dreams had given her a good idea, but her hopeful eyes wished for me to tell her differently. I closed the few feet of gap between us and raised my hand to her face. She flinched as soon as my thumb brushed her cheek. I immediately withdrew my hand.

It wasn't hard to imagine why she flinched. Aegon was a sadistic bastard so it wasn't a reach to think he might have hurt Helaena.

I looked at her. Her eyes closed tightly shut and she was shivering.

How could anyone think to hurt such a beautiful and innocent soul?

"Helaena," I spoke softly. She didn't respond at all to my call.

"Helaena," I called again. She slowly opened her eyes and met mine. "I'm not him."

Once again, I raised my hand to her face but very slowly this time. Fortunately this time she didn't flinch. I cupped her cheek in my palm.

"I will not make the same mistakes Aegon made. I will not go to war. I will not allow any harm to come to your children. The House of Dragons will not fall." I tried to sound as firm and sure as I could.

A few tears trickled down Helaena's cheek which I wiped away with my thumb. She stared continuously at my face.

"What?" I eventually asked.

"I am glad you kept his face. I had forgotten until today that I once adored this face." Helaena answered. I felt her fingers trace my face and then she leaned in, joining her lips with mine. I responded wholeheartedly but tried to remain gentle. Helaena clutched my shirt in her fist and without breaking the kiss dragged me backward to her bed.