⊰ CH 9: SUBTLE ⊱

THIS MORNING, DIANNA WOKE UP to see a slim box on her bedside table. She had to blink a few times until she was able to register the fact that it was velvet.

She had gotten home sometime past midnight last night, exhausted. But, as soon as she relaxed into her bed, her mind was completely awake. Her thoughts wouldn't stray from the two Gryffindor boys she spent the entire afternoon with that day.

Their friends weren't terrible either. For years, back at school, she would duck into empty classrooms to ensure she could go unnoticed when the marauders would strut down the corridors. She wasn't scared of them, per se, more so, untrusting. But to her surprise, they were polite and genuinely enjoyable to be around.

What puzzled her most of all, though, was the relationship between Sirius and Remus. They were together? Yet, they aren't currently together. They go on private dates. Yet, they still aren't together. They both have shown some sort of interest in her, yet again, they share an intimate understanding of each other she could never begin to comprehend.

But why does she want to so badly?

One thing was definite, though: their group and hers don't mix. And they probably never should.

Dianna now sat up in bed, staring at the velvet jewellery box that Poppy had left for her. It had no note attached. The sleepy girl took the box in her hands, taking notice of its heavy weight before pulling off the black ribbon, which had been elegantly tied in a bow.

She puts the ribbon down before opening the jewellery box.

A large diamond-lined bracelet stared up at her. It looked costly. Definitely not a subtle accessory, nor something she would have chosen for herself if she had seen it in a store.

Confusion overcomes the girl. Who would ever give her such an extravagant gift?

She doesn't even see her family as a possibility. They didn't get a gift this expensive, even for her sister's wedding gift.

Surely, none of her friends would go out of their way to send her a gift out of the blue or without a note.

Rudolphus? Possibly. Doubt it. He enjoys her company, sure, but he's not the kind of man who would try to buy one's affection.

She would consider it a red flag if one of the Gryffindor boys she hung out with yesterday had sent it to her, in such a short time span too.

Maybe someone made a mistake. Sent the gift to the wrong Dianna Rain. Perhaps meant to send her something else. Something hopefully more subtle.

She gets out of bed and walks to her dresser, which holds her jewellery box. The bracelet shimmered as she pulled it out of its box and put it away with the rest of her jewellery. Dianna takes the black ribbon she left on her bed before using it to tie up her hair.

Her family hasn't been home for days. She feels as though she should be glad that she has the Manor all for Poppy and herself, but the longer her brother and parents are away, the more curious she is as to where they are and why.

After dressing, Dianna tucked her wand into her pocket before slipping out of her room. Instead of heading right toward the staircase like she usually would, she goes left. Past her older sister's room, her bathroom, and a broom closet before making it to the end of the hall where the black door that belongs to Dianna's parent's bedroom resides. She places her hand on the nob, expecting the door to be locked, only to be astonished when it opens after she turns it.

She steps in, taking notice of the black printed wallpaper and simple royal accents decorated around the room. The room is considerably symmetrical. A bed, dresser, bedside table, floor-to-ceiling window that leads to a balcony, and a trunk in front of each bed on both sides of the room.