⊰ CH 10: GRUMPY ⊱

DIANNA SIGHS AS SHE SITS up. She had been searching the coat she had worn just a day ago for the cigarette the raven-haired boy had given her. Relief had flushed over her once she had it in her grasp. She walks away from the clothing hooks next to the front door and towards the hallway before opening the kitchen door.

The electronic device that muggles use to communicate with one another sat on the countertop. She'd been thinking of the boys frequently ever since Sirius had given her the cigarette a few days prior.

The situations still confused her, but she wouldn't let that cloud her happiness around them.

She dials the number quickly. Too quickly. So quickly, she messed up and had to hang up and start all over again. She took a deep breath as she patiently waited for the call to go through. She held the phone to her ear as she heard two rings before a masculine voice politely asked, "Hello?"

"Hey, James. I'm not sure if you remember me, but I-," the girl starts, only to get interrupted by the boy.

"Hey, Dianna. One moment," the Gryffindor boy says before putting his hand over the part of the phone that's meant to go to your ear, unknowingly allowing Dianna to hear his following words. "PADFOOT!"

"WHAT?" the raven-haired boy yells back from the other room, causing Dianna to chuckle.

"The Ravenclaw is on the phone for you!" James says, not dropping his loud volume.

There's barely a second before another voice joins the call. "Allo?" Sirius says in a gasp, having had just jumped across the bed in his room to grab the phone on his bedside table.

"Siri?" Her voice brings a smile to his face.

"Dianna," he grinned. "I have to admit, I was waiting for your call."

"Apologise, it took me so long," she smiled into the phone, looking around her kitchen.

"No worries." Sirius stands and walks to the balcony that is opposite his queen-sized bed. The cord attached to his phone is charmed to extend to any length necessary. "Is there any chance you're free tomorrow?" he asks, trying to hide the nervousness in his voice.

"Erm," Dianna winces. "I wish I was."

Sirius's face falls.

"A friend whom I haven't seen for a while and I are spending the day together," she clarifies.

"I understand," Sirius disappointedly keeps his tone even—there is a moment of silence where Dianna waits for him to say more.

"Today, on the other hand," she suggests.

"Today?" His heart starts to pick up speed.

"Yes? Why?" Dianna's eyes widen. "Is that too soon?" she asks worriedly.

"No!" he replies too quickly, causing her to relax and smile. "Today would be even better. Erm, I... apologise." He pauses, realising something shamefully. "I probably should have thought this through more. What would we do?"

She sighs and thinks aloud, "Well, uh, there's a muggle concert near east London, or we could just walk around town."

"Perfect. Where should I meet you?" Sirius asks, rocking back and forth on his feet as he stares blankly out the window.

"My parents are out of town for a few weeks," she replies, catching his interest. She blinks, realising how that sounded, and quickly adds, "So you can just meet me here in two hours, and we can head over together."

"Sounds like a plan," he says, trying not to focus on this newfound information of Dianna spending her days alone in a vacant mansion. If he thinks about it too long, he knows his thoughts will take him to her needing company... if you catch my drift.