Solivagant (45) // 07

NOTE: This is a re-written and an alternate ending for the chapter 45 of my fanfiction "Letters To You". The idea was given to me by the wonderful Sakura_kinoko and HONERLOVES
(see above) , as well as the funniest way of getting me to see it in general (see above again) - so, the credit goes to them along with a big thank you! Didn't think I'd ever come back to this fanfic but the idea was just too good to waste it. Enjoy!

CONTENT WARNING - 16+: gore, mild body horror, anxiety, slight mutilation (not too descriptive, but implied).

Written: 2023.
Fiction
————————————————————

Spending the night with Jack in peppered kisses, barely moving, afraid that if she does – he'd turn to soil, leaving her earlier than she bargained for. The night was quiet, and the embrace was so warm it lulled her to sleep quickly, letting the boy untangle her limbs from his and leave while he can.

It was hard to abandon the room he found solace in over time, and even if he knew he'd be back soon, Jack couldn't help but feel paranoid about leaving her alone. There was an itch in his gut, screaming that something bad might happen – thinking the police will see right through her when they question her.

She's not stupid. If she fooled me once, she'll fool them as well.

It was around 6.13AM when (name) awoke, finding an empty spot next to her. The warmth was gone, forsaking only the ruffle of the white linen sheets the boy's body laid on. Rolling over, she could smell the faint scent of rubbing alcohol on the pillow next to hers. As much as she wished the comfort stayed, it was hopeless to even try. There were still things to be done, and a life to live even if he wasn't there. It was temporary, but nobody liked their honeymoon phase interrupted.

Throughout the day her thoughts would come back to Jack, wondering if he's okay, where he'd stay or how he'll get around. (name) was perfectly aware of the fact that he'd be fine, making it all these years without being seen or heard about. Yet her chest burned and her head ached. Rationale and anxiety were such a bullshit combination.

She never had a problem returning to an empty home, devoid of light and life. After all, with her arrival, the lights would be turned on, TV would soon follow and her home would glisten again. However, coming back to an empty home after life meddled on and about every day, with or without her presence – was depressing. She didn't realize how beautiful it was to have someone to come back to every day.

The lights were on again, the TV soon followed, and it was only her, the evening news and a letter she failed to notice this morning.

"I apologize for leaving without a proper goodbye. You wouldn't be sleeping if we allowed ourselves one. Until the situation dies down, delete my number – we don't know what the police will ask from you. As for contact, Mondays and Saturdays in the center nearby park, I've marked a tree where we'll leave letters for updates. Stay safe."

She didn't waste time packing everything that might spark suspicion in a small metal box with a lock, putting it in her bag. Hiding the box in her locker at work might not be the safest idea, but it's safer than having it hidden in her house, or somewhere in the forest. The worst part of it all was the fact that she'd have to get to work earlier in order to avoid Tanya. The blonde had a habit of picking you apart until you tell her what she's interested in.

The sun merely peeked around the horizon when (name) left for work. Her pace was quicker, bag clutched and she felt like she had eyes everywhere. Spotting three police cars down her street, people walking to work, irritation and nervousness seeping out of everyone like steam. Nobody was fond of the situation they were forced to be in.