12 - Regret

Echos POV

It didn't take long to get the car back up and running, given that Brandon's mom got up exceptionally early to fill his car with gas and brought it to us.

She stands with the hood open when we leave the house and walk towards the driveway, wearing a blouse and shorts so short it's practically a belt. I guess it is pretty hot, and she's been working on the car for who knows how long.

"Hey, kids!" She shouts at us as we approach her. "Brandon, I made sure you didn't have any water damage anywhere in this old girl." She looks at me and gives me a soft smile as an idea pops into her head. "How about you two stay for breakfast, Ben

"Thanks, Mom. It was nice seeing you, but I have to get Echo back to the city, though; she has to get to work, and so do I."

A sad expression falls over her, and she says, "Oh, alright. Well, I guess I should tell you my good news."

Just as she says that, a truck pulls into the driveway. We all stare at it, and I sit silently, not knowing who that could be. But Brandon seems to know.

He whispers. "What's dad doing here?"

His mom looks from the truck and then at Brandon with worry. "Brandon, honey, I have something to tell you."

"Well, what is it?" He snaps. "He doesn't have my sisters in his car, so what is he here for?"

I bite my lip as I step back. This seems a bit intrusive of me being here.

A tall man that looks awfully like Brandon starts to walk toward them, and he opens his mouth.

"Jillian, you didn't tell me you were telling Brandon about our engagement today. I would've snapped a pic of his reaction to the wedding pictures." My jaw drops. His deep chuckle sends a chill down my spine.  It reminds me so much of how my dad used to laugh at times when he knew it would hurt me the most.

He stands beside his... fiancé and wraps her hand in his.

Wedding. Engagement. I thought they were divorced.

Brandon stands speechless. I've never seen his face express such intense anger before. I never even entertained the idea that he could get this angry. But what I can't figure out is what got him so upset.

"Mom, you're joking, right? You're kidding?"

She shakes her head. "I was going to tell you, I was. I needed the time and didn't know how to break it to you, especially when I knew you could act like this. You can't blame me!"

"Mom, he treated you like shit!" He shouts at her.

"Hey!" The man shouts. "Don't talk to your mother like that, and not that you need any details about our relationship, but I have changed, Brandon. People change."

Jillian nods. "He's right; he has. I promise you. This time will be different—"

"Just look at him, Mom," Brandon pleads, his voice begging her to see what he sees when he looks at his dad. A tank top with a stretch-out collar, a beard the length of half a foot, and boots that look like they've been through world wars. "Does he look like he's changed?" He steps towards his dad and grills him. "I bet he dropped the girls off at some shit summer school just to run off and get high off the back of his truck somewhere. Ain't that right, Ben?"

Ben shoves at Brandon's chest, snatching his collar up in his hands, and flings him only a step back. I know he meant for that to look fierce, but I only worry about what Brandon might do in return.

"Enough," Jillian hisses at her son, even though Ben initiated it. "Ben is clean!"

Brandon shakes his head, puffs out his breath, and points to his mom. "When his hands are back hitting on you, and you're crying for help, I won't be in the next room to stop him this time. You better hope I never hear a thing from the girls, or I'm going after you next." He threatens. "And I promise you, Julian, I'll make sure you never see them again if you put them in danger like you did me."