25 - Epilogue

One Year Later
Echo's POV

It's been years since I've been back in New York City.

This city used to be the place I despised more than anything in the world. It had something to do with the bad memories that had cycled repeatedly in my head, or the deaths that were connected to the city that made me hate it so much. It was never actually the city.

A few years ago, I was happy despite living in New York City... I was happy with Brandon Ashton.

The guy who saved my life.

The guy I owe everything to.

For the four years I've been in treatment, bettering myself mentally and physically, he was always at the back of my head.

I tried to send him letters but after the first year of writing back and forth, I started getting them returned to me. Meaning he must've moved out his old apartment. At the same time, I was moving facilities.

We lost communication.

I hoped every day that someday I could talk to him and tell him how great things have been. Tell him how much I owe him. And to ask him what he's been up to. I couldn't help wondering if he found a wife yet, had children, or even when a new girlfriend. It's been five years; I shouldn't expect for him to hope that someday I better myself like I said I would all that time ago.

I don't live in New York City anymore. I live upstate, in a suburban home with neighbor friends and an emotional support dog. I landed a job as a counselor for young children in school.

Yet I am here visiting New York. Walking to the building I spent a few months of my life in with the man of my dreams.

On my way, as the spring breeze strokes my curls, I pass by Happies. It's closed. Greg, I kept in touch with, he told me he shut down the place after meeting his wife. He started a new company, a bourbon business. Believe it or not, I'm sad to see it gone. Most of my childhood was spent in this place, following behind my dad. Then working there.

When I get to Brandon's old apartment, hoping that what I'm looking for is still here.

Hoping at least something is left to remind me of him.

My heartbeat quickens as I get to the roof of the building and search desperately.

And there it is.

Brandon's greenhouse stands in good shape, still as lovely as when I last remember it.

I cry as I pull out the key I still possess and unlock it.

Seeing the inside makes my heart hurt.

The flowers are gone. All the different colors are gone. Replacing it is much more beautiful. Filled in ever pot and every space of dirt are all dandelions.

I look in disbelief at the beauty of them all, some bright yellow, other white and puffy,  ready to spread their seeds to the world. Absolutely beautiful.

The loud sound of shattered porcelain makes me jump. I spin around, expecting to see that I broke something, but instead I'm met with— I gasp.

He's here. Brandon. He stands in front of me, a broken flowerpot with a dandelion in it on the floor before him. His body is frozen, and immediately I notice the tears forming in his eyes. Or maybe I'm seeing it wrong through the tears forming in mine.

He's so much older looking, more mature, even more beautiful than before. A stubble now grows on his face.

"Echo..." He whispers in disbelief.

I smile contently at the pretty man with green eyes. "Your dandelions..." my voice is shot with emotions. "They're beautiful."

He breaks down, letting his tears pool from his eyes as he stands rooted in the same place. Both of us, scared to take a step forward. Scared that maybe we're both imagining this and that any motion would send us dancing with the wind like a dandelion seed.

He cries. "They're all yours, Ech. They've always ever been yours."

I can't take it, the distance. I run to him and he collided with me, holding me tighter than ever but I don't care. We cry on each other, full on sob party. His tears on my forehead, my tears drenching his shirt.

And I'm an instant I'm back to the place I've so very familiar with. I'm back home.

I will always cherish this greenhouse. The place where the dandelions grow. It brought me back to him.

"Hi, Brandon," I mumble through cries.

I can hear the smile on his voice as he responds. "Hi, Echo."

I look up at him, never letting go. "I'm better now, like I said I would be."

He strokes my cheek. "And I waited. I waited for you like I said I would."