19 - Betray

Echo's POV

The party a few days ago was amazing. Embarrassingly, it was the only party that doesn't consist of a blown-up cartoon animal and a bouncy house.

I met a girl named Raven who reminds me a lot of Hailey. She had the same sense of humor, but she talked a lot.

I don't mind people who talk a lot, it saves me from needing to talk.

Though, ever since the party, Brandon has been quieter than usual. He even went an entire evening after he dropped me off from work with the reason being his friend Cole needed him for something.

It worries me, how weird he's being. Is he still upset that I don't want to go to therapy? Did something happen to his mom? Maybe it's his job that's bothering him and he doesn't want to tell me. I don't understand the shift in his mood, and it gives me a stomachache.

What if he regrets being with me? What if I've become a burden on him since moving in?

Maybe I should get a second job to help with things like buying food.

I've been sitting in the greenhouse for hours. Oddly enough, it's become my favorite place to sit and think. Sometimes Brandon leaves me in here alone while he goes to cook or work at home. The dandelions are coming along, which I'm proud of, they're pretty and yellow

Tonight, he decided to go to work. Which he hasn't done in a long time. Is he avoiding me?

"Echo?"

I stand up from the floor where I read a book that I found in Brandon's room.

Brandon lowers his backpack that he carries to work sometimes and walks to me, bringing me in with both hands to give me a kiss on my lips.

I savior the tenderness of it.

"What are you doing up here so late? You scared the shit out of me when I realized you weren't in the apartment."

"I just needed to think and get some hair, so I came here."

He stares at me intensely, studying me. Then speaks, "What's wrong?"

"Nothing."

"Don't say nothing, I know my girl. I know when there's something wrong with you."

I lick my lips, fiddling with my fingers. "I can say the same for you." I look at him. "Is there something wrong?"

His face dips. "What? Why would there be something wrong?"

"That's what I've been trying to figure out myself. You've been acting different lately. Distant. Ever since the party and I don't know why. Did—did I do something?"

He frantically shakes his head. "No, baby, not at all."

"Then what is it?" I plead. "I can't work properly, think straight, or feel happy when I know you aren't happy with us."

Hurt crosses his face. "Of course I'm happy with us, Ech. I'm the happiest I've ever been."

"Then what is it!"

"I've just been having a hard time at work, that's all." He takes my hands in his, bringing one to his lips where he plants a delicate kiss to my knuckles while he leans back on the table. "You. Are. Perfect."

I sigh in relief and close my eyes. He kisses my forehead.

"Lets go get some sleep, gorgeous."

***

I haven't managed to fall asleep all night.

There's something wrong with him. I just know it. He's still the sweet guy I met at Happies. The sweet guy who makes sure I eat and shower every day, is still here, laying on my chest, sound asleep. But I can tell there's something different.