21 - Victim

Echo's POV

"Oh, Echooo, Are you in here?" I giggle soundlessly at the sounds of Hailey's voice right outside the closet in her parents' room.

It's the only room I thought of for hide and seek. Everyone is forbidden in this room. It's the best place to hide! No one suspects a thing.

I look through the narrow slits of the dark closet at Hailey hesitantly peeing through her parents' room. She's not allowed in here either, which is a little weird considering it's her parents' room.

I've finally been allowed over after so many years. During recess she told me her parents said yes to me coming over, but they won't be here when I am.

I watch Hailey tiptoe into the room. "The door's open, I know you're in here somewhere. You can' be in here, O."

I snicker quietly and continue with the game, having too much fun, when the loud slam of the front door makes Hailey jump.

He squeals and attempts to get out the room, but it's too late, mom is already blocking the way, entering the room.

I've never seen her mom before but based on the descriptions from Hailey over the past year, I know it's her. Something about her makes my hairs stand straight. She's a large woman, a lit cigarette hanging flimsily from her lips. Her skin is brown just like Hailey and I's, her hair gray, but barely enough of it to fit into a ponytail. Her clothes that don't really fit her have large holes and dirt stains everywhere.

She spots Hailey standing in the middle of her room and stops.

I don't know Hailey's mom, or much about her life really. She doesn't tell me a lot, most of the time she says she likes to listen and give advice, so I let her. I know her life at home isn't dandy and butterflies, but I'm not stupid enough to believe this woman is any saint either.

She looks far from it.

"You," She points to her daughter. "Why the fuck are you in my room, Bitch." She calls her daughter that, why?

Hailey has her hands locked at her front and her head dipped. "I was looking for a pencil... for homework," she lies.

She hasn't said I'm here, why? She told me her parents were okay with it. Unless that was a lie too. I stay quiet because I know better. She hasn't said anything about me being here for a reason.

"I don't have no fuckin' pencils in my room, ya fuckin' whore." Each word sends fear down my back. My dad is scary, but he's never put this much fear through my body before and she isn't even talking to me.

I notice Hailey eyes scaling the room. In search of me, most likely.

She gives up and ties to leave the room when her mother stops her. "Where you goin'? Come back here."

"Yes, ma'am," Hailey whispers submissively.

The woman sits down on the bed and slides her sock off her foot and throws it against the closet door I currently stand silently behind. I flinch, thankful not to make any noise.

"My feet hurt, rub it."

Hailey looks sat her mother's feet in horror. "But I don't—"

"I didn't ask you; I'm telling you! Rub my feet."

Hailey body caves in and she drops to her knees, beginning to rub her mother's feet.

"You're daddy left again. You wanna know why? Because he doesn't wanna take care of you. You're the reason we can't be together. You and your face, it embarrasses him to have a daughter so fuckin' ugly. And I still have seven more years until I can kick you the hell out for good."