Prologue

Prologue

My husband is cheating on me.

How do I know for sure? Just look at him. His clothes are askew, his smile is so bland, and even without my eyes confirming my suspicions... I can just tell from the way his side piece's perfume desperately clung to his clothes.

"What's with all the bags?" he asked as he carefully placed his work bag on our living room couch.

I dismissed his question and ask him instead, "Kumain ka na?"

With a confused from, my husband answered as he walked closer to me, "Hindi pa."

Good. I smiled at him.

"Tamang-tama, pinaghanda kita ng paborito mong ulam."

He stared at me for a beat, then looked at the huge spread on our dining room table. The silence was sooo awkward.

"I'm sorry, babe. May lakad ba tayong nakalimutan ko?" He took his phone out and checked his calendar. "We only celebrated our 3rd anniversary two months ago."

I nodded serenely but offered no explanation. I just motioned for him to sit down on his seat, the head of the family seat. He followed me but he also carefully flipped his phone down so I wouldn't see its screen.

He stared at me and I just grabbed the first serving plate near me and started putting food on his plate. His favorite dish. My Afritada.

"Babe, ano nga? Did I miss something?" he asked, hindi makatiis.

I only smiled at him. "Can't I cook for my husband?"

Squirming, he just let me put the food on his plate. We remained quiet. Him, awkward and guilty. Me, quiet and indifferent. You can cut the tension in the living room with a knife.

"Sige na, start eating na," I said to him as I sat on usual place, beside him.

"Thank you for all of this, babe." He smiled at me and started eating.

"Good?" I asked as he took the first bite.

He nodded. "Your cooking's the best, babe. You're the best."

Am I really, though?

I was about to thank him when my eyes caught something, a faint hint of red stain under his ear.

His mistress' red lipstick. A clear evidence of him cheating and him unable to successfully hide it from me. Suddenly, an ugly image flashed in my mind.

Her red lips on his neck, kissing it... nipping the sensitive part of it... and my husband groaning in pleasure.

No, I can't do this to myself. I tried to block the ugly image on my head but it just won't go away. I can't fucking unsee it, especially knowing who she is after seeing their pictures together.

I was snapped back to reality when I heard him moan, an indication that he is happy with his food. Happy and content with his food--and how he could easily handle his double life.

My stomach drop and something in me snap.

I stared at my happy and satisfied husband. He thought he and his secrets were safe, and that I'm still fucking clueless from all his indiscretion.

It made my blood boil.

Sitting up straight, I gave all my attention back to him. "Can I ask you something?"

He nodded without looking at me, still enjoying a spoonful of his favorite Afritada.

"I told you before that if you ever find the woman you'd love forever, you'd tell me, right?"

He dropped both utensils he was holding and whipped his head to my direction. "What's going on?"

I stared dead straight into his eyes. "Answer me, Dash."

He took a sip from his water. "Yes, Ara," he answered carefully. "Bakit mo naman naitanong 'yan? What's wrong?"

We continued staring at each other, waiting for the other shoe to drop.

I decided to drop a bomb on his, instead.

"I know about Araminta."

Dash visibly stiffened and his eyes widened in shock.

"Ara..." He took my hand that was sitting closely to his plate. I forcefully pulled it away. Malay ko ba kung anong hinawakan niya kanina. Baka hindi pa siya naghugas ng mga kamay niya.

Umiling ako sa kanya at tinanggal ang plato na nasa harapan ko. Kinuha ko na rin ang mga inabot na ebidensya sa akin kaninang umaga, na nakatago sa tabing upuan ko.

"Huwag na nating pahabain pa ang usapan, Dash."

Inilatag ko sa harapan niya ang isang manila envelope na puno ng pictures na kinuha ng private investigator na na-hire ko two months ago. Kasama rin nito ang mga kopya ng statement of account ng personal credit cards niya, pati na rin ang resibo ng hotels na na-book nilang dalawa ng kabit niya.

Two years worth of receipts of hotels, restaurants, plane tickets, everything...

The private investigator on my retainer was thorough. Really thorough.

"Ara, I can explain--"

Umiling ako bago tumayo, muling umiwas sa mga kamay niya.

Pero hindi rin ako agad nakagalaw, hindi sigurado sa mga susunod na hakbang. I wanted to slide my engagement and wedding rings off my finger then give them back to him. But I couldn't... I still wasn't ready to part ways from the happy memories of those days. 

Although, it doesn't mean I'd let him keep doing this to me, to us.

I love my husband, but too bad for him I learned to love myself first five years ago.

For a while, I really was happy and content with my life with him. But then I started to notice things, it was like he was waiting for me to catch up with how he had been reckless the past few months.

My eyes returned to him and saw his pleading eyes. Seeing it only spurred me on dropping another bomb on him.

"I want an annulment."

Napaawang ang bibig niya.

I looked away from him and started to gather my phone, wallet, and hand bag, which were all sitting at the side table in our dining area.

Dash followed me with his eyes. "Wait, baby. Pwede bang pag-usapan muna natin nang maayos ito? I'll explain everything."

"No need," I said to him, dismissing him with a hand. "Manang, can you help me with all my things?"

"Opo, ma'am," mabilis na sagot ni manang, nakaabang sa akin sa kusina.

Napatayo na rin siya nang maglabasan ang mga helper namin at sunud-sunod na inilabas ang mga inimpake kong gamit na nakatago sa storage area ng bahay. "Teka, saan ka pupunta?" tanong nito, gulat na gulat at nagsisimula nang mag-panic.

"Home."

"But this is your home."

I shrugged at him. "Not anymore."

Dash continued following me as I exited our front door. "Where are you going, Ara?"

I smiled at my soon-to-be ex-husband and dropped the last bomb from my arsenal.

"Hermosa."

It's been five years... I think it's time to come back home.