Chapter 19: Hopelessly Devoted to You

Ysmael: Any updates?

Reed: She's helping them at the fair

Reed: So now our friend here is always at the fair

Reed: When he doesn't really show up there

Ysmael: What? Why? How?

Ysmael: Is she getting paid at least?

Reed: I sure hope so lol

Reed: Apparently, they're "understaffed"

***

Apollo's POV

"Are you okay?" Sahara asked me when we finally split up with Everly.

I threw a glance at her to my left and saw her worried look. My heart squeezed tightly seeing how concerned she was for me, so I looked away immediately. I had to look away. She's only worried about me because she's a good person.

Not for other reasons.

"Yes, I'm okay," I answered her truthfully.

I heard her sigh. I forced myself not to look at her again, which proved to be a really hard task. "What the hell was that, though? Hindi ko maintindihan kung bakit ang init ng dugo niya sa akin."

Looking back at Mary Ann's actions earlier compared to her demeanor when she was still working for me was just shocking. She was competent, efficient, and just so reliable. And she was right, she was never late and she would always stay out late to make sure everything was fine before going home.

She was a great employee. But learning the way she acted with malice and such hate for Sahara, I just couldn't let it slide. Her invasion of Sahara's privacy, her spreading what she learned about Sahara, and twisting what happened to her marriage were the main reasons why she was fired.

But hurting Sahara, to the point of driving her out of the farmhouse and drinking herself stupid, that's just unforgivable.

Mary Ann was lucky she didn't meet the Old Sahara. I wouldn't know what would have happened to her if she had met and had a conflict with her five years ago. It would've been chaotic. She would've been brutal and vicious to her.

Knowing how the Old Sahara would've reacted and seeing how the tough woman that she is today crumbled under that kind of pain and humiliation—she must have been carrying so much in her heart already to let it break her.

She decided to be the bigger person and walked away instead of confronting Mary Ann.

I eyed the hand clutching my arm, it was the first time Sahara touched me since we saw each other again. "Believe me, I was surprised by her actions, too," I answered, still eyeing her hand on me.

Akala ko bibitawan na niya. Pero muntik pa akong matisod nang marinig ko ang sunod niyang sinabi.

"Hindi ba kayo nagka-something? I mean, I won't judge you, I just want to know bakit tingin niya ako ang kontrabida sa buhay mo na kailangan niyang itumba."

Hindi ko na napigilan pa ang sarili ko at tumingin sa mukha niya. I want her to see how serious I am, and how true my words are. Ayokong kung ano pa ang maglaro sa isipan niya.

"Walang ganun," sagot ko sa kanya, mariin ang tono. "I never showed her a hint of any interest."

I noticed the grooves on her brows deepened as she asked, "Why?"

Shrugging my shoulders, I looked away from her searching eyes again. "Because I'm not interested," I answered truthfully. That's the truth.

After Sahara, I never looked at any woman ever again.