Twelve | Rija

A/N: So.... I'm a complete, utter idiot.

Somehow, I accidently copied and pasted chapter 11 where this chapter should have been. And then didn't catch it, because it was late Saturday night and I was a sleep-deprived monster who clearly didn't proofread the chapter. I'm so, so sorry. If you're seeing this author's note (which is at the beginning of a chapter, where I don't usually put author's notes), then it means that the chapter has been updated to contain its correct content. Once again, I apologize from the bottom of my heart for that! Please, enjoy what's actually supposed to be in this chapter!

* * * * *

It's moments like these when I feel like the last person on the planet.

Leaning back against the wall, I occupy myself by staring out the window at the end of the upstairs hall. The branches of the tree outside sway in the gentle breeze, waving at the heavens. For a moment, the moon, which has mostly been tucked behind the clouds, seems to glow a little brighter, and I can't resist the urge to smile. For how protective Ihiti is of her sister, even she cannot deny the Great Mother a chance to smile at her children.

The entire house is absolutely still. Even my soft inhales and exhales feel like explosions in my hushed surroundings.

Reluctantly, I tear my eyes away from the window, and my head falls back, making a soft thump as it hits the wall. I should probably stop getting lost in my head - Tanik would probably murder me if our guest ended up escaping because of my carelessness, kind-of friendship or not.

Glancing at the clock hanging across from me, I sigh. Still three more hours to go before the sun rises and I can get off guard duty. Great. Just great.

It's not that I don't understand Tanik's caution; honestly, I'd think him a fool if he hadn't set up a night guard rotation. But something in my gut tells me that it's unnecessary. That's not to say I trust the woman - Aurora, she introduced herself as - but I just can't seem to shake the feeling that she doesn't want to hurt us.

Maybe it's the clear weariness in her face, or her seemingly sincere words and actions. After all, what purpose would it serve to give Tanik the opportunity to introduce himself again? Or to greet me by my tradition of my people, the people who her government hates?

Whatever it is, it brings back memories. Because, although I could never claim to understand her situation completely, I can definitely relate the most. I was once on the run too. I was once terrified for my life on a daily basis, once afraid that I would spend the rest of my life simply trying to survive. I was once the untrustworthy newcomer among the Resistance (perhaps not to this extent, though).

It feels almost like a cruel joke, meeting somebody in almost the exact same circumstances I was once in, and being faced with the choice of what to do with them. My brain screams at me, reminding me to keep my guard up, because the last time I didn't-

And then there's my heart. Because what kind of person would I be, if I refused this woman the very same help I was granted?

There's a thump from inside Aurora's room, and my thoughts screech to an abrupt halt.

Getting to my feet, I lean towards the door, hand resting on the handle of the knife in my pocket. Straining my ears, I try to pick out any more sounds.

Nothing.

I narrow my eyes at the door, the corners of my lips tugging downwards in confusion. But then, I allow my muscles to relax a little.

Maybe Aurora just woke up and knocked something over. Or she fell off the bed. Or something like that. Whatever it is, it must have a reasonable explanation.