15

It's been almost two weeks since we saw Ramsay at the front for human auctions and I've seen him twice since then, but those other two times have been at our house. Every interaction has been uncomfortable for me, and Ramsay seems pretty confused by my discomfort. At least his confusion means he doesn't know I was there, but it still feels awkward because I know what he's hiding.

I know that he must have made the choice himself; there's no way that he'd be allowed to come to our house if he was being blackmailed or forced against his will to join the trafficking ring. Especially with how Dad feels about the ring and how he'd do whatever it takes to protect Ramsay if he revealed he was caught in it.

Honestly, even if Dad figured it out and knew it was Ramsay's choice, he'd still try to protect him and get him out despite his anger. Dad always insists that family comes first and it's our responsibility to look out for and protect each other.

Callum was asked to cover a shift for a security guard at Vampieress' Dungeon last night, and he offered for me to hang out on one of the couches if I wanted, but I knew I'd be bored since Callum would be working and I don't really know anyone else there. So, I called it an early night for myself and stayed home.

It's early, and since it's November, it's still dark outside. I haven't been told of any new human murders in the last couple of weeks, but I'm not naive enough to think nothing's gone wrong. There's a decent chance that new information is just being kept from me.

I'm tired, but I can't fall back asleep. I grab my phone and see a text from Callum that was sent after I fell asleep. It's just assuring me he got home safely, which I appreciate. Even though he's a vampire and wouldn't be a target for the murders, it still unnerves me knowing a killer is out there.

"Good morning," Joseph says from the kitchen table, drinking from a bag of blood.

He's reading something on his laptop; his eyebrows are furrowed and his lips are in a tight thin line, which is the face he makes when he's focused or reading something. Since he's on his laptop, I'm going to assume he's reading.

"Hi," I say, opening the fridge and debating what to eat. "What're you reading?"

Joseph sighs. "The missing person reports from the humans who were killed."

"Why?"

"It's just sad that their families will never find them," Joseph says solemnly, rubbing face before reading on. "I'm also annoyed that we keep failing and haven't found who's responsible."

I frown, opening the cupboard and choosing chocolate Cheerios as my breakfast option. "I mean, there's only so much you or I can do. I'm not even allowed to go out and help."

"Vampires are quicker than werewolves and the one we're chasing... they're probably rabid. It'd be more dangerous for you than Raina, Dad, or I."

I make my bowl of cereal, take my multivitamin, and sit down across from Joseph. "Don't get stuck on it, Joseph. Dad is the one who is taking the lead on this so it's not like you can do much outside of what he tells you."

Joseph sighs and closes his laptop. "Yeah, but nothing is getting done. They're not making progress."

I eat my cereal, unsure of what to say. It's a difficult situation, especially for Joseph since Dad tells him what to do and he is expected to do it, but Dad isn't very open regarding his plans. Honestly, I'm not entirely sure what Dad even does.

He's got money saved, as he's six hundred years old, but he now just goes to meetings and converses about the supernatural community. Since I rarely go to those events, (mainly because I haven't really ever been invited) I'm not sure what goes on there or what's discussed.