20

My head is pounding when I wake up, and I crack my left eye open and see light streaming in from the window. I didn't think I'd sleep all night, since the last thing I remember is passing out, but here I am. I sit up and grab my forehead in my palm, looking around the room with fuzzy vision.

I feel sensitive all over and I'm colder than I've ever felt. We're closing in on winter, so there's no reason why Callum should have the window open and the ceiling fan on. Speaking of, Callum is nowhere to be found. His side of the bed is cold, but with how chilly the room is, I cannot say for certain that he's been gone for a while.

One of his sweatshirts is hanging over his desk chair, so I get up and put it on. I'm not sure when I took off my shirt because I don't remember anything after passing out... did Callum take it off for me? I open his sock drawer and steal a pair of his fuzzy socks, even though I don't like how they move awkwardly on my feet. I'm too cold to care.

"Callum?" I call, grabbing my throat as soon as I do.

My throat hurts when I talk and my voice is hoarse... when did that happen? How long was I asleep? I must've woken up at some point and just don't remember it because I don't usually wake up nearly naked, cold, or with a sore throat and hoarse voice. I also, since being with Callum, don't usually wake up alone.

I walk downstairs, trying to pick out Callum's scent, but it's difficult because the whole house smells like him. I keep calling for him, trying to smell for any odd scents, but I can't pick any out. I run to every room in the house, but he's nowhere to be found. I don't know where my phone is so I can't call him, and panic starts to build up inside of me.

"Callum?" I call louder. "Callum!"

After last night, after confirming that every single person in my family has been lying to me in some way and not knowing what lies ahead for me, I'm already an overwhelmed mess. Now, to add to it, I can't find my mate.

Callum is the only person who I know I can love unconditionally and he loves me back. He's the best person I know and he's the only one I trust without any hesitation, and it's not because of the mate bond. It's solely because of who he is as a person.

"Callum!" I shout once more, before slamming the door to the house open and realizing his car is gone.

Where is he?! He should've woken me up if he wanted to go somewhere! With everything going on, how can he be sure that he's safe going out somewhere alone?! What if he was attacked by the human traffickers or by the rabid vampires?!

I'm about to strip down and shift to run through the woods and find him when his car turns into the driveway. I watch as he parks his car and opens the door, holding a paper bag and two clear cups, and based on the color I can assume one is my coffee order and the other is his tea and almond milk.

I want to be relieved that he's okay, but anger is coursing through my veins. "Where the fuck were you?!" I shout, making my throat burn. I stomp over to him and take the grocery bag from him so he doesn't drop anything. "I almost had a fucking panic attack! What the fuck, Callum?!"

He winces at my shouting, and even though he doesn't look scared and is more just wincing because of my yelling, I immediately feel guilty. "Let's go inside," he says.

I walk through the opened door and close it behind me, putting the grocery bag on the counter. I begin to go through it to put stuff away and furrow my eyebrows at the contents. There are a bunch of different pain medications, sleeping medications, and drinks with electrolytes and for hydration.

"What's this?" I ask, laying all of the boxes out on the counter.

"I figured you wouldn't remember," Callum says, handing me one of the drinks.