Prolouge

Emelia

I still remember before the fall of humanity. Before the monsters gathered together out of the shadows to take control, before we lost what little freedom we thought we had.

I was eight years old when it started, the week before my birthday. Me and my parents and my older sister had been planning out my birthday with the TV on in the background when the breaking news alert stopped us.

There were riots in the streets, people in 'costumes' attacking others and then they were on the news, telling us how things would change. They had the numbers and the power, and many of them were already working in high-ranking government positions. We couldn't tell them apart from us, we couldn't stop them.

My parents thought it was a joke until their phones started ringing. My uncle had been killed by a giant wolf, and his wife was hospitalized by a vampire.

My sister and I couldn't stop crying. "Mommy, what's going to happen?" "Is it real?" "What's going to happen to us?"

We continued to watch the news as some of the monster leaders came out to explain how things would be run from then onwards, and how each human was required to live in a designated place.

I still remember what our new 'leader' said, mostly.

"Dear citizens, human and supernatural alike, today is a day in the making of much history and happiness. Today is the day in which the supernatural come out of hiding and take a stand in their own countries as what they are, without fear of what will be done to them by society or those like them.

"However, for the humans who have remained unaware of the supernatural living amongst them, we have some things to explain, and some rules for them."

The man on the tv was large, with dark hair and eyes and slightly pointed teeth when he smiled. You wouldn't be able to tell that he wasn't human apart from the two large wolves at his sides who I now know to be his betas.

"Humanfolk, many of you have heard the tales of the werewolf, the vampire, the fairy, the witch. But I would like to change your idea of them before we are done, as to help you not to offend any during this delicate period of integration.

"The werewolf, the wolf shifter, man or woman who can change into a wolf on command. With instincts closer to that of an animal to heighten senses, and strength of which you have only seen in movies. We werewolves are not here to hurt you, but if you hurt one of us, or our own, we will make you regret it in whatever way we must to keep the peace.

"The Vampire, creatures of night with the strength and speed of any supernatural, and a thirst for blood. However unlike your folktales and legends, the vampires' thirst for blood is often weakened by the daylight, therefore it is no longer safe for humans to be out at night, and a curfew will be put into place for your protection.

"Fairy folk hold the heightened strength, speed, agility, and hearing that all supernatural do, but they have added magic. Many tales of witches and warlocks were just fairy folk living amongst humans who thought they prefer their forests and mountain cities.

"Witches, real witches are a rare creature who you should hope not to come into contact with however they are peaceful so long as you do not aim to offend or harm them, they are creatures of mystery appearing at random within any bloodline or race who can summon and talk too the dead. They, like all other supernatural, hold other gifts that make them dangerous to any human. Be cautious but not fearful for we have made treaties and promises to help everyone during this difficult yet promising time.

"And now the rules, all shifters, vampires, and fairies have mates or soulmates. Sometimes they can be human, most of the time not, however, if you are found to be mated to a supernatural you will be required to go with them. If your mate has found you no former partner, long term or otherwise can keep you from them without risking their life. Not following this rule will lead to punishment of your entire family. No human may harm a supernatural or their children or mate unprovoked or otherwise, the consequence for that is death.

"You will find now that you are no longer the most powerful, most loved, and most important now. We understand that the transition will be difficult and that we will face much backlash, however, we hope that the next few years of transition will be easy for everyone and that this will forever be seen as a time of peace amongst people. We will keep updating you on what is happening everyone, thank you for listening."

After that all I remember was the fear I felt, and the terror in my parents' faces. Our lives, our very existence, and our histories had been completely upturned. We were the masters of our own game, the controllers of our destinies and then we weren't.

Nothing was ever the same after that day, after the fall of humanity.

∆∆∆

Hello to everyone and anyone reading this, I'm Holly (hi) and I would like to say thank you for giving me and my story a chance. I promise to update as much as possible, (I already have a few chapters written that I'm just editing Please please please let me know of any spelling or grammar mistakes I make, I value and take into account all criticism!! I am here to grow as much as I am here to share my work Comment, share, and enjoy! 

<3 <3 <3