5

Kato-

Emelia .... The girl who had run off to the resistance group rather than even attempt a relationship with me. The girl who gave me hope and then shattered my heart.

I spent the first year believing that she had been taken by the resistance, it wouldn't have been the first time someone had been taken like that. But over time it was clear to see that she had chosen to go. Her family while upset weren't worried, they didn't try hard to send out search parties after the initial first few months, and eventually, her sister let it slip that Emelia had chosen to go.

At that moment I thought I was going to combust with all of the emotions I was suppressing.

My mate, my soulmate, chosen for me specifically to be my perfect match and eternal partner through all our lifetimes. She had known that, grown up learning and acclimating with the rest of the world, and still, she ran from me. Tricked me into thinking that we would make it, that we could be happy like so many other pairs of mates before us.

I hated her, had spent the last two years hating her and pushing her out of my mind.

She had ripped out a piece of my soul and taken it with her when she left, but now seeing her again. It was so hard to hold onto that rage and anger that had kept me strong through my transition from Alpha heir to Alpha.

I was angry at her, yes, I was furious. But I didn't hate her. I didn't think I could ever hate her, I thought, looking at her sitting next to me, crushed up against the door to get as far from me as possible. Fierce and angry and so fragile.

She and her resistance friends were responsible for the deaths of five people, three of them wolves, and the injuries of seven more. They had damaged four buildings in total, destroying two in only one week.

The resistance was getting bold, and they were sending in the youngest of them to do so.

It pained me to see how the resistance manipulated these people into thinking that what they were doing was good. And it pained me even more to see the mate I had lost turn to them and believe in them.

We arrived after a long drive at one of the private houses I had inherited after my father passed, and she didn't speak to me as we walked inside. She could clearly see the forest all around her and was fully aware that we were at every advantage over her. She could not run, she had nowhere to go. If she was ever spotted by the police again without me she would be chased down and arrested on site. It had taken me pulling rank with a lot of people to get her out of jail time in exchange for house arrest under my supervision. She could not be dumb enough to try and run... at least not so soon after everything.

∆∆∆

She didn't speak to me or to my seconds Daniel and Alex. When we offered her food she refused, when we tried to talk she turned her head away, and the only thing she did was go to her room when we asked if she wanted to rest.

I was surprised, to say the least, we had expected her to try and pull something to at least contact the resistance. She was probably already planning some sort of escape.

She hadn't realised that she was in my bed. For the next two months, she was not allowed in a room alone for more than five minutes, which meant either having guards in her room constantly, or her staying with me.

I chose the latter out of convenience and because my instincts meant I wasn't exactly keen on her alone with other males, especially not while she slept.

After a brief conversation with my seconds, I went up to the room after her, It was late and I needed to sleep too.

I could tell that she wasn't asleep when I entered the room, her heartbeat and breathing were too steady and controlled. She had been using breathing exercises, but in doing so she was taking deep breaths rather than the shallower breaths people normally took while sleeping.