3

"Having looked at the security footage from the job we sent you on we believe we have identified your mate," Keira said to me matter of factly.

"He's not my mate. And why does it matter? He didn't follow us, trust me I checked." I was really scared now, Keira had her 'you're not gonna like this' face on. And that was never good.

"While looking at the cottage we realized that he's not just a wolf, he's a high-ranking and important one." She was clearly waiting for me to catch onto something but I had no clue what she was talking about.

"Him? Really?" I already knew that, the officer had called him Alpha, which meant he was either closely related to one of the leaders of this or another pack, or he was the leader of another pack.

"He is the newly appointed leader of the Reinford pack. Despite him being only second son to the previous Alpha, by whatever decision his father made."

"The Reinford pack as in the second largest? Covering three cities and a shit tone of forest and national parks?"

"Yes, and he is also the fourth in line to be alpha of their neighboring pack, Covea where you grew up."

"So every time I've run into him he's just been there on business?" I asked getting annoyed at her for talking about someone I clearly wanted nothing to do with. We both knew I had no intention of being with him, why look into him so much?

"After you ran he started visiting more and more packs, making stronger connections as he looked for you. Not only is he powerful. He's well-liked by many people and wolves."

"And what do you need me to do with that?" She wouldn't be telling me unless she had a need for me to do something, we both knew that much.

She got straight to the point. "I need you to do something that we have tried before with a few others, I need you to try and destroy him, his family, his pack, and any pack that he has come in contact with."

I laughed.

And laughed.

And laughed at how ridiculous that was. And once I calmed down, and had wiped my eyes, I asked. "And how do you expect me to do that."

Keira hadn't laughed with me, only stared cooly as she waited for me to finish.

"We have planned to set up a mission where you are to get 'hurt' and left behind. You will then be given to your mate as is the policy with such things.

"To make him believe this wasn't set up you will need to be angry at him, hate him, essentially act how you would if it had really happened."

"And how is this supposed to destroy them?" I was starting to get tired of the conversation. I had things to do, I needed to study and visit the infirmary for my arm.

"Wolves move faster than humans do romantically. Spend a few weeks hating him, then a few still hating him but asking more questions and looking around more playing it as boredom. Tell him things about yourself, keep them mostly truthful wolves are good at detecting lies. And over the course of about a month, he should fall in love. Give him a few weeks of thinking you're falling for him and he will start pushing to get you to love him back. He will take you to his pack and to other packs and each time you will gather any and all data that you can." She holds up a necklace with a locket on it and opens it.

"Every time you open this locket it will record any noise you hear, and take a video so be careful where you point and open it. Anything you see or hear on it will be sent directly to us while we start making plans." She then showed me how to work it and how to tell that I was recording right and told me to see one of our many tech guys if things went wrong in my trial with it.