Chapter 73

I could hear the footsteps behind me, could already feel the presence of the person who stood behind me. They didn't have to speak, or announce themselves. But I smiled when they spoke anyway, giving me confirmation of what I already knew.

"You look pale, Potter."

I smiled. "As if you're one to talk."

"Oh? If you're going to be rude, I'll leave."

"Draco." I tsked amusedly as my boyfriend stepped up behind me, arms wrapping around my waist. I tilted my head up so I could see his face, could see his small smile before he rested his cheek against my temple.

"I missed you." I murmured, leaning back into his chest and enjoying the warmth that engulfed me, familiar and calming. I felt at home here- Not that I was sure where I was. If I tried to focus too hard on our surroundings, they became blurry, unintelligible, and washed out. But with Draco here, I didn't want to focus on anything else at the moment anyway.

"I told you I'd be back, Potter." Draco's voice was quiet, his lips pressing against the side of my head. "I'd never lie to you."

"Liar." I scoffed,  turning around in his arms, my hands reaching up to wrap behind his neck. He looked better than I had seen him last- The circles under his eyes were gone, his hair better kept, the small smile on his face unburdened. It made my chest feel tight with an emotion I couldn't quite explain in words, so instead I reached up and pressed my lips gently to his. It only lasted a few seconds though before he pulled away, looking down at me with a frown. It took me a moment to notice the red that stained his mouth, shiny and dark and certainly not there before.

"Draco? Are you okay?" My concern was evident in my tone. But he merely wiped the blood from his lip at the same time that I could feel it begin to trickle down mine, my throat suddenly tight and raw, mouth warm and filled with a metallic taste that made me choke. I coughed, alarmed when blood left my mouth to stain the back of my arms and Draco's white shirt. 

It was me, then. I was the one bleeding.

My knees buckled at the realization, hitting the ground at a much slower rate than they would've had  Draco not fallen with me, kneeling down and gripping my forearms tightly.

"Potter?" Draco said my last name with anxiety and concern; I shook my head. Gripping his arms I tried to take a deep breath, only to spit out another mouthful of blood. It hit the ground with a splat that made my stomach turn. I could feel it, the familiar weight, the cold I had only felt once years ago. It was back, and I knew what it was, and it scared me.

"I think-" I shuddered, fingers digging into the white fabric of his shirt as I tried to breathe through the ache in my throat. "I'm dying, Draco. I can't breathe- I can't breathe, Draco! Please-"

"Potter, you'll be fine- Lily, Lily look at me, love, please, don't-" Draco's voice was steadily becoming more and more desperate, words rough. I couldn't though, couldn't move, couldn't do anything but slide closer to the ground, the cement cold through the thin fabric of my shirt. I could feel something wet coming from my eyes, though I wasn't sure whether it was tears or blood.

"Draco." My voice was hoarse. He gently held my face in his hands, gray eyes searching mine with panic. I wanted to comfort him, soothe him, but- I didn't know how. My lips twitched a little in a weak attempt of smiling. "I'm sorry, love."

His expression hurt, brows furrowed in a mix of grief and determination. My vision blurred, this time with tears, and I was sure it would go completely dark soon enough. How did I get here? What was happening?

"Potter, wake up." He said then, his voice coming out garbled. Was I losing my hearing? I tried to grip onto him tighter, refusing to let go. I didn't want to leave him. "Potter, wake up- Come on. Get up."