Chapter 38

Chapter 38

Sitting at the front desk, I busied myself by drawing on a notepad. Sirius, damn him, had me working at the shop tonight.

George had practically leapt at the chance to drag me there, and I now had a schedule of working there three days out of the week- Monday, Wednesday and Thursday, respectively. Being that I didn’t have anything going on and all my friends were probably in hiding, my schedule tended to stay pretty open.

The cashier was fairly easy to manage- it wasn’t too different from the muggle version, the only change being that it was... well, magic. My only other job after that was to keep a list of items bought, to see what items would need to be re-stocked for the next day.

Fred and George for the most part would just wander around the store, chastising kids who touched too much stuff or shooing out parents who seemed to scowl at every item in the store. Occasionally a couple people from school would show up, but no one I knew personally. 

While this all was.. interesting, I found my thoughts constantly drifting to Draco- where was he? I felt like my insides had moved into a tight ball, and every time I thought about it the seemed to squeeze just a little tighter.

“Having fun, Lily?” George chirped as he appeared from one of the back rooms, his jacket draped over his arm. Rolling my eyes, I straightened up in my seat.

“It’s just been thrilling.” I replied with a small grin, shaking my head. George grinned, chuckling quietly.

“Wonderful- anyone come in as of late?”

“Not for the past twenty minutes or so. Why?”

“Fred and I are considering shortening the hours on the store- be able to put more time into the Order and all that.” He sighed, giving a small shrug. “We’re trying to find the average time customers stop coming in.”

“Is Fred here?” I asked, raising an eyebrow. I hadn’t seen him anywhere. Naturally, of course my question was answered as Fred himself walked through the door, shrugging his jacket on.

“I heard my name?”

“Hey Fred.” I greeted, a grin appearing on his face when he caught sight of me.

“Lily! How’s my favorite new employee?” He asked, walking over and leaning against the desk towards me. I gave a small shrug.

“Pretty good. Yourself?”

“Fantastic.” He said cheerily, nodding once. George rolled his eyes, watching his twin with amusement before turning back to me.

“We were just heading off for dinner- Would you want to join?”

“I’d love to, but shouldn’t I-?”

“Sirius knows- I just sent him an owl.” Fred informed me, and I couldn’t help but let out a small laugh. Of course they did.

“You two have been plotting against me! Setting me up with a job at the shop, taking me out for dinner- what’s next?”

“We were thinking of a miraculous trip for ice cream afterwords, actually- if you don’t mind.”

“Of course I don’t mind!” I scoffed as I picked up the jacket that was draped across my chair and shrugged it on. “It’s ice cream! You’re offering me ice cream!

__

“I’ll pay- you two head on off.” George chirped, and giving a small nod Fred handed me my jacket, scooting out of the booth seat we had previously been occupying.