Chapter 9

A few weeks later I saw in the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom, trying not to fall asleep as I waited for the class to be over.

I was very aware of Draco as he shifted in his seat, having taken the spot to my left. His hand would brush over mine every now and then, the small sign of affection my only relief from Umbridge's long and dull lecture. I let out a heavy sigh, propping my head up on my chin to keep my head from thumping onto the table.

Draco glanced at me out of the corner of his eye, eyebrows raised for a moment. I stared back, giving a small shrug. Then he reached over, already turning back to watch Umbridge even as he took my hand in his, squeezing it gently. I smiled weakly at him, appreciative of the small gesture when there was a loud thump, and I jumped to see Umbridge's stubby fingers on my desk as she leaned against it. Her smile was so sweet I felt sick.

"No public signs of affection, please. Six inches away from each other." She said sweetly, and begrudginly I let go of Draco's hand, scowling. Still smiling, Umbridge turned back to her chalkboard, beginning her lecture. But my patience had run thin.

"Toad woman." I muttered under my breath, and even Draco looked over at me in shock while Umbridge stiffly turned back around, glaring at me fiercely.

"Detention, Miss Potter! Tonight. In my office." She said curtly. I rolled my eyes as Umbridge finally glanced at the wristwatch she wore, pursing her lips in mock surprise.

"Well! It seems we've been here for over two hours! Funny how time passes, isn't it? You all may be excused." She said finally, rounding it and sitting down at her desk.

I sighed in relief, hanging my head as I gathered my books and rose from my seat. 

"Come on, you." Draco murmured, watching me as annoyance crossed over my face at Umbridge's tutting. I followed him out of the classroom and into the hallway, waiting until we were several steps away from the cursed room before I spoke.

"She's just so- so uhg!" I snapped, at loss for words. Draco nodded sympathetically, grabbing my hand again.

"Hey, calm down." He instructed, and with a grimace I closed my eyes, taking a deep breath. Temper. Right.

"Sorry. She just gets me so riled up.." I mumbled. Draco grimaced, and I could feel his thumb lightly swiping over the scars from previous detentions with Umbridge, scratched into my skin time and after time, line after line. He sighed.

"I know she bugs you... But maybe you should just stay low for a little while. You know I can't stand it when you get detentions." He said with a grimace. I rolled my eyes.

"I know, I know... But I can't just let her walk all over me! Or anyone else for that matter, the toad." I said sourly. Draco stopped me then, and after a brief glanced around he pulled me into an empty classroom. Shutting the door behind us, he turned on me.

"Lily: Listento me." He said seriously. I stared at him as he spoke.

"Please, don't let her get to you. She's a Ministry woman. You could get in really deep trouble with her and her lot, and I don't want you getting into trouble. Alright?" He said slowly, and with a small grimace I nodded. Draco sighed, obviously appeased.

"Good." He said, his arms sliding around my waist as he pulled me close. "I just don't want you to get hurt."

"I won't, Draco." I promised, rolling my eyes. Draco smiled amusedly, lips twitching up into the crooked smile I liked so much.

"Good." He repeated, and I chuckled amusedly as he leaned in, his lips brushing softly against mine, sending my heart into a flutter.

"If we get caught, I am so blaming you." I chuckled under his lips  before kissing him back softly, wrapping my arms around his neck. Before it could get very interesting though I heard a loud boom, one that startled me out of the moment.

"What the-?" I muttered in confusion, before realization dawned. Draco looked at me curiously when I laughed.

"Come on, you need to see this." I chuckled, grabbing his hand and pulling him out of the room and nto the now-crowded hallway as students rushed around, trying to find the source of the noise.

"Where exactly are we going?" Draco asked me skeptically, and I rolled my eyes at his bored tone.

"Just trust me- wait." I  warned before pulling him to the side of the wall, just in time to avoid the firework-dragon that shot past us, scaring several first years.

"Ah." Draco hummed weakly. I grinned at him.

"It gets better." I said giddily, pulling him down the hallway and past the Great Hall, ducking as one of the Weasley twins flew over my head. I

"What are they doing?" Draco asked bemusedly, ducking himself as the other twin zoomed by.

"Being brilliant, that's what." I said cheerfully, dragging him along to the hallway where Umbridge was confronting them. We weren't close enough to completely hear them, though the furious look on Umbridge's face along with the identical grins on the Weasley's told me all I needed to know.

Only a few words were exchanged before they took off into the sky, fireworks shooting behind them as at least half the students grouped in the small hallway applauded. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Harry come to stand by me, pointedly ignoring Draco.

"Wish I could've gone with them." He said with a sigh. I smiled weakly.

"Me too." I agreed, and Harry smiled weakly at me before disappearing into the crowd again, most likely going to find Hermione and Ron. When the crowd began to clear I sighed, turning to look at Draco.

"We should go. I don't want to be in the way of the toad when she's in a bad mood." I said. Draco grimaced at the nickname, nodding in agreement as he took my hand, and together we walked from the scence, leaving the fuming Umbridge behind us.

 *

* *

* * *

* * * *

* * * * *

Well, ninth chapter posted.

Sorry if it's a bit off, but I just wrote this since the twin's leave was wanted, and I didn't originally have it in the book.

But there you are!

Comment, fan and vote!

Luv ya,

-Lily