Chapter 9 - Club Fair Encounters

Ai POV

Today marked the day of the club fair at my new school, and I must admit, I was taken aback by the timing. I had anticipated the fair to take place at the beginning of the school year, like in many other institutions. However, to my surprise, it was scheduled quite late into the year. Apparently, there were some unforeseen delays that caused the event to be pushed back. It was almost as if an author of a fan-fiction completly forgot that this event was in the story and quickly went to add it in while making an arbitrary reason on why it never happened when it should have.

As I looked around, I noticed a considerable number of students heading towards the large auditorium where the club fair was being held. It was no surprise that many students were eager to explore the various clubs available at ANHS, especially considering the school's reputation for having one of, if not the best club systems in Japan. The clubs here were well-funded, well staffed, and provided enough space for their specific activities to function.

Unlike some students who might have come with a specific club in mind, I ventured into the auditorium without any particular preference. My intention was to explore and see if any club caught my interest. Looking through the crowd I saw a familiar brown haired boy, with a stone cold expression. 

As I navigated through the bustling crowd, my eyes remained fixed on the familiar figure I was attempting to approach without being noticed. Sneaking up behind him, I moved with utmost care to remain hidden and unheard amidst the excitement of the club fair. Wading through the sea of students, I used my surroundings to my advantage, taking advantage of any available cover to conceal my presence.

Ai: "Ayanokoji-kun." I poke his shoulder to get his attention when I finally got behind him.

Kiyotaka: "Oh Ai, I didn't expect to see you here." Hmph, his face didn't even change when I suprised him.

Ai: "Are you also going to the club fair?"

Kiyotaka: "Yeah, I am."

Ai: "Are you interested in any clubs?"

Kiyotaka: "I don't really know any specific clubs. I just wanted to see if there was anything I would be interested in joining. What about you?"

Ai: "I'm in a similar situation too. I don't think I'm really interested in anything specific." He nodded at my words and turned to continue his way towards the fair.

As I watched him walk away, a sudden impulse took over me. I didn't want to go to the club fair alone, and maybe going with Kiyotaka wouldn't be a bad idea.

I reached out and grabbed his arm, surprising both him and myself with my abrupt action. He turned to face me, his expression stoic as ever, but I could sense a hint of surprise beneath the surface.

Kiyotaka: "What is it, Hoshino?" he inquired, his tone steady despite the unexpected gesture.

Ai: "Ah, well, I was wondering if you would be willing to go with me to the club fair. We both are going there after all, and I didn't really feel like going alone, so..." I trailed off, feeling a bit embarrassed about my impulsive act. Why did I do that? It was so silly and awkward. He probably thinks I'm weird now.

Kiyotaka regarded me for a moment, and though his expression remained composed, I sensed a flicker of understanding in his eyes.

Kiyotaka: "Sure, I don't mind going together," he replied calmly.

My cheeks flushed with relief, and I offered him a small smile.

Ai: "Thanks, Kiyotaka. I appreciate it," I said, grateful that he didn't reject my request.