1. pretty sure i could grow up

CHAPTER ONE

CHAPTER ONE.
narrative and instagram

march 18, 2022: iowa city, iowa

I was writing down lyrics when my phone rang. I was working on an album and writing songs had been taking up all of my time. Gently, I let out a sigh, getting up from my keyboard and making my way over to my bed where my phone was. It was a call from Florence Samuels, my best friend since I came to Iowa because we shared a dorm freshman year.

"Hello," I say, putting the phone on speaker as I sit on my bed.

"Get ready, K and I have an extra ticket to the women's March Madness game tonight," Florence says, "Kris was gonna go but he has plans now, so we're coming back to pick you up." She's talking about her boyfriend, Keegan Murray, his brother being Kris. They both play on the men's team for Iowa. They also left the house twenty minutes ago for the girls  game.

"Do I have to go?" I ask. I had actually never been to a men's or women's basketball game since I've attended the university. I'm always holed up in my room or at the recording studio, never making any plans to go.

"Freya, please," Florence practically begs, "You only have to go this one time."

I sigh, knowing I'm very easy to win over when it comes to her, "Fine. What do you even wear to a basketball game?"

"Literally just wear anything Hawkeyes you have, Frey," Florence tells me, "K and I will come pick you up in ten," she says, handing up before I have a chance to respond.

I shake my head, keeping on my red and white adidas sweatpants, trading in my crewneck for a black tank top. I slip an Iowa hoodie I have over it, putting on a pair of black converse. I brush out my hair and put on some mascara before sitting on the couch as I wait for Florence and Keegan.

My dog, Bowie (he's a dachshund), climbs into my lap which makes me smile. My phone chimes with a text from Florence, letting me know that they're downstairs. It's been less than ten minutes. I kiss the top of Bowie's head, moving him from my lap, "I'll be home soon, bud," I say, getting up and grabbing my keys from the counter.

I lock my apartment door behind me, heading downstairs to the outside of my complex where they are. I slide into the back of Keegan's car, "Hi, guys," I say.

"Hi, Frey," Florence says with a smile, "You ready?"

I nod as Keegan pulls away from my apartment complex. Florence has her phone hooked up to CarPlay, her liked songs on shuffle because it goes from Superman by Taylor Swift to Friend which is a song that I wrote on my first EP.

"I don't know how you're not tired of my songs. You literally go to every show I have," I say with a small chuckle.

She smiles, "Yeah and I take pictures and videos of every performance. I could never get tired of these songs," Florence says, "Is this one about anybody important?"