44. not like i'm looking for that silence

CHAPTER FORTY-FOUR

CHAPTER FORTY-FOUR.
narrative

iowa v. indiana: february 26, 2023
final score: 86-85, iowa wins
carver-hawkeye arena

The arena erupted in cheers as Caitlin hit a buzzer beater three to put us up by one. Leah and I jumped out of our seats, squealing and clapping. I wrap my arms around her shoulders as she's amazed by what her girlfriend just did.

As the girls clap hands with the other team and head to the locker room, Leah, Keegan, Florence, and I grab our things to go meet the girls outside the locker room like we normally do.

Almost as soon as we reach the floor, Keegan is pulled into a conversation with a couple of old friends. Florence waves Leah and I on to go to Kate and Caitlin.

Leah and I have our arms linked as we walk, following Raina who gives us each an excited high five. We make it to outside of the locker room and we lean against the wall as we wait. I fidget with my fingers, nervous as to what I'm going to ask Kate.

After at least ten minutes of waiting on the girls, they slowly start to trickle out of the locker room. Caitlin makes her way over to us, immediately wrapping her arms around Leah and pressing a kiss to her hair.

"Caitlin, you are fucking insane," I say when she reaches us.

The Clark girl just grins at me as Leah tells her the exact same thing. Monika and Gabbie join us after a few moments, still fangirling over the shot.

I feel an arm wrap around my waist, pulling me into their side. I know immediately that it's Kate and I look up at her. As I do, she plants a kiss on my lips, making me smile.

"Get a room," Leah says, masking it with a fake cough.

After pulling away from Kate, I look at her, tilting my head, "You're one to talk. We have to pry you off of Caitlin whenever you're together." Her cheeks turn red at my words, leaning into her girlfriend.

"I would ask to get a drink, but we still have practice tomorrow," Monika jokes as Florence and Keegan reunite with us. They give the girls their congratulations on the win.

Kate gently squeezes my waist, "You ready? I'll take you home," she asks and I nod.

I turn to Florence, letting her know that I'm riding home with Kate. She nods with a smile as her and Keegan catch up with some of the other girls. Kate slips her hand into mine, the two of us walking out to the parking lot.

"19 points," I say with a grin as we walk past people to get to her car, "you played really well, baby," I add, leaning on her arm. She just grins widely, pressing a kiss to my hair as we walk. I hear someone behind us mumble the word "disgusting" which makes me turn my head. I meet the eyes of a man wearing Indiana gear. Immediately, I break my gaze from his as we reach Kate's car.

She comes around and opens the passenger door, letting me get inside. Kate places her bag in the backseat before getting into the drivers seat beside me. She places her hand on my thigh and as she pulls out of the parking lot, I mess with her fingers. I still have to ask her if she wants to move in with me. I was given the keys to the apartment in case I wanted to look around, I have them.

Kate has my album on as we drive. One of my songs was even played in Carver before the game started, it was amazing. As she drives, I watch as Kate mouths the lyrics to my songs.

She doesn't know that half of them are about her. I wrote most of them in my high school years and rewrote some parts with Aaron and Leah. Most of my songs are about her anyway.

When she pulls up to my apartment complex, she quickly gets out of the car, running around to my side to open the door. I shake my head, laughing at her as I get out of the car. She closes the door and I grab her hand as we walk inside.

We both wave to the woman at the front desk, heading for the elevator. When she presses the button of my floor, I turn to her, "Okay, when we get to the floor, close your eyes. I have something to show you," I tell her.

She cocks her head, furrowing her brows, "What are you planning, Reya?"

I give her a grin and shrug my shoulders, giving her hand a reassuring squeeze. The elevator doors open on the floor and I pull Kate forward gently.

"I'm not gonna let anything happen to you, it's okay," I tell her as she now has her eyes closed. I lead her to the apartment only a couple doors away from my actual one. I grab the keys out of my purse, unlocking the door.

Once inside, I turn the lights on and pull my girlfriend through the empty home. "Okay, open," I tell her as we stand in the living room.

Kate's eyes flutter open, confusion washes over her face as she looks around the empty apartment. "What's this?" she asks.

I bite my lip gently, looking up at her, "Well, if you say yes, then it'll be ours."

"Are you serious?" she asks, a smile slowly spreading on her face.

She places her hands on my waist and I put my arms on her shoulders. I nod, "Move in with me," I say, my voice in nearly a whisper. In a matter of seconds, Kate presses her lips to mine. A soft giggle escapes my lips as I kiss her and she pulls away. "Is that a yes?"

"Absolutely."

authors note
i never want this book
to end