little boot

lucy had been tossing and turning all night. she tried not to wake tim up so that at least one of them would not be cranky at work the next day, but she could not seem to find a position that was comfortable. lucy was 39 weeks pregnant with their first child, and she had yet to go on maternity leave, much to tim's frustration. she knew that he just wanted her and their child to be safe, but she couldn't rationalize sitting at home all day when she (mostly) felt fully capable of working. anyway, sergeant grey either assigned her to front desk duty or let her assist lopez and harper with their cases. either way, she was out of any immediate danger and spent most of the day sitting. also, she liked that she could still go to work with her husband. it gave her a sense of normalcy with both of their lives coming to a very large turning point.

she was, of course, excited to meet their baby, but she was also terrified. neither she nor tim had great relationships with their parents, and she desperately wanted to give this baby a mother and father that he or she could trust and count on. logically, she knew that she and tim were not their parents, but the idea still frightened her, and she knew it was in the back of tim's mind even if he isn't one to share his feelings outright.

tamara reminded her (frequently) how excited she was to be a big sister and basically took over decorating a nursery, organizing a shower, and helping prepare their little apartment for a new baby. she reminded tim and lucy almost daily about how she was certain that she would have a little sister any day now even though the new parents were convinced it was going to be a boy.

lucy sighed and rolled over to her other side. she was hot and sore and just generally uncomfortable. she also couldn't find a position that was comfortable for the random back pains she continued to feel. she squinted her eyes open and peered at the clock. 03:14. damn it. she guessed that she had probably slept for two to three hours tops, and she was not hopeful for much more before their alarm clock would go off at 5:30am.

much to her relief, lucy did manage to fall back asleep but only for an hour or so before the familiar blaring of the alarm clock shook her awake. "hey baby" tim whispered and leaned over to plant a kiss on the side of her head. she blinked her eyes open "5:30 already?" she mumbled combing her fingers through her messed up hair. "were you able to sleep?" tim asked. she shook her head "a couple hours here and there" she sighed "i am guessing that this little one is just so excited to meet us, that he can't sleep either" she smiled softly.

lucy pulled back her blankets and attempted to stand up before sitting back down. "you okay?" tim asked with a hint of worry in his voice. "mmhmm, yeah, i'm fine, my back has just been bothering me all night" lucy watched as tim's eyebrows furrowed with concern "should we call--" "no, no, don't bother them" lucy chuckled "i am sure this is normal." tim pressed his lips into a thin line, and lucy could tell he was debating whether or not he should argue with her. "why don't i tell grey that you are staying home today-- he said you could start maternity leave weeks ago" tim was walking around the room retrieving his uniform to put on.

lucy, being her stubborn self, shook her head "no, tim, seriously, i am fine, and i am certainly capable of working at a desk today." tim looked like he was about to argue, but lucy quickly added "i promise, if i really start to not feel good, i will go home." she stood up (successfully this time) and walked over to her husband and pulled him in for a gentle kiss "we are just fine" she whispered.

tim exhaled. he knew his wife wouldn't do anything to put their child in danger, but he also knew that she was stubborn, and didn't like to appear weak which clouded her judgement sometimes. "fine." he said quietly "but can you please let me know how you are doing every so often?" lucy nodded "of course, babe." she turned to go get her uniform, but tim quickly pulled her arm back and spun her in for another kiss. "you're too much" lucy giggled.