roles reversed

it was a normal day in LA. as boring as it was, lucy was thankful for these days as she knew how quickly they could turn. she had responded to a couple of calls but nothing too major. she was skeptical at first, but as the shift went on, she began to think that today might really just be an average day, and she was not about to complain about it.

just then, lucy's phone rang. it was tamara. "hey where are you?" "what?" lucy was confused. "you told me you would come see an apartment with me today, and we are supposed to be there in 15 minutes." "shit, i forgot, i am so sorry" lucy started up the shop and began to take it back to the station "let me go talk to grey, and then i will meet you there in 20 minutes" "ahh thanks mom-- you're the best!" tamara exclaimed cheerfully and hung up.

grey had no problem with lucy ending her shift early because no major events had taken place that day. "see you tomorrow" he waved as she rushed down to the locker rooms to change into her street clothes. as soon as she got into her car, though, lucy realized that she didn't know where she was supposed to meet tamara. she called her "hey, where even is this place?" she asked quickly, pulling out of the lot in at the station "oh, it is on washington and 14th right above the state bank" tamara directed her. "thanks, i'll see you--" lucy's phone beeped twice and then went black. lucy rolled her eyes. she figured it was her fault for forgetting to charge it last night, but at least she knew where to meet her puppy. oh well. she tossed her phone in her purse.

lucy met tamara at the apartment ten minutes later and didn't give her dead phone a second thought. the girls took their time talking with the leasing agent and discussing the logistics of tamara moving out. since grey had given lucy the day off, the women decided to go out to for lunch and take kojo on a nice long walk since neither of them were in a hurry to be home.

tim was having a fairly average day. he worked with metro on a few projects here and there and mostly organized training for his squad. since there were no major calls coming in, he actually got to take a full lunch break. he decided to surprise lucy by picking her up food from her favorite burger place and bringing it to her. tim loved doing little things to make his girl smile. he adored her, and loved to remind her of that when he could.

tim strode into the station with a bag filled with lots of pickles with a side of veggie burger and fries. he ran into his best friend "hey, have you seen lucy?" "no, sorry, i haven't seen her since this morning" angela shrugged and passed tim to sit down at her desk. that was odd... maybe chen wasn't back for her lunch yet, but it was weird that she had not been back to the station since roll call.

"where are you?" tim shot a text to lucy. "is that for me?" john nolan joked walking up behind tim "sorry, dude, not today— have you seen chen, though?" "no, sir, i haven't seen her since she left from roll call-- did you call her?" "i am about to..." tim sighed reaching for his phone to call, but he was directed straight to voicemail. he tried once more and found the same thing. weird... "hey i have a surprise for you" he texted. maybe her phone was on silent, but that wasn't normal for lucy. tim shrugged-- she must be held up on a call right now. he made his way over to angela's desk to sit and chat while he ate and hoped that lucy would return to the station before he had to report back for duty.

"so that was for me!" lopez exclaimed as tim set his lunch down on her desk and pulled up a chair.  tim rolled his eyes "it's for chen if she gets back before it's cold" "hmmm" angela chuckled. "you're smitten." tim rolled his eyes again "i just thought--" "you don't have to explain yourself to me" his best friend cut him off "it is sweet, and i like how she softens you up." she finished smirking. tim scowled at her but couldn't argue. they chatted for a few minutes before angela stood up "i'm gonna go touch base with harper about this lead."

just as she was walking away, officer thorsen's voice came over her radio. "seven-adam-ten, alert sergeant grey; i found a body, and it's officer lucy chen."