VIII. Rache

"Revenge is a confession of pain"

- Latin Proverb

. . . . . . . . .

ACT 2, Scene 3

And with every passing second, the silence around us only grew, into a more unique, rather uncomforting sort of silence, the one I didn't like. The atmosphere slowly turned cold as the gales picked up pace, brushing away dry leaves and sending them in swirls, something odd for a rainy afternoon like this one. 

"I guess we get going now" Ryan reminded me, his voice sounding hoarse as ever, turning his back as he prepared to leave. His eyes shifted from the terrace walls, quickly glancing at me and then towards the little door, that led to a flight of stairs and back into the never ending hallways.

At this point I just felt helpless, not knowing who to suspect. The killer could be anyone and he or she is still out there, enjoying the pain while others grieve in sadness and continues to play in disguise. I promised myself at this moment that I'd find the killer no matter the cost, I'd do it for myself and for Mia. 

Part of me suspected Ryan. Didn't he just say that the killer was German? If he knew what the engraving on Mrs. Rachel's arm meant, it gives us a fair chance that he could  be the killer. But if so then why would he tell me? Was it because he wanted to appear less suspicious in my eyes or was it because he trusted me? 

I'd already lost enough, Mia had just disappeared leaving no trace behind who was later found dead in the library. Bianca who I assumed was the killer all this while was murdered during the Annual Orchestra and lastly, Mrs. Rachel had been strangled to death and forced to hang on a ceiling. Emma had been stabbed badly that the nurse stated she'd lost a lot of blood and her recovery would take about a month or longer. I just can't let the killer get on ruining lives of innocent people as well as ruining mine. Emma is my best friend and I won't let her down, the way I let Mia. 

"Ava?" Ryan called out once more, this time sounding louder than he usually did, which snapped me back into the harsh bitter reality.

"Yea...I-I'm coming" I replied, stammering anxiously as I followed an impatient Ryan who marched ahead of me, his steps faster as if he wished to leave the terrace as quick as he could. He looked unhappy, his expressions clear that I'd wasted a good amount of his time from getting lost in my own thoughts.

It was only a while later that I stumbled over something heavy and rigid that caused to trip over and lose my footing. It didn't take me too long to realize that what I tripped over was nothing but a little black garbage bag composed of thin plastic. It stood abandoned as if lying around without purpose, slightly leaning onto the terrace walls. But how did this little black garbage bag get all the way to the terrace? Was it accidentally left behind by a janitor? This sounded rather unlikely, how could someone leave this bag behind all the way up the terrace? Surely it was a  discarded piece of evidence the killer wouldn't want us finding. 

"Ava? What now?" Ryan turned around, staring at me with cold sharp eyes, sounding completely annoyed and frustrated. 

"This bag," I slowly stood up, dusting up my uniform and pointed towards the secluded bag. "There might be something in it, I-" 

"Seriously? You think there's gonna be something inside that bag? You must be insane. It's just a garbage bag" Ryan huffed out sounding mad yet his face was blank. 

Fighting my curiosity, I slowly widened the bag only to find a pair of black rubber boots, a photograph and another threat note. 

"What is it?" Ryan sighed hopelessly at last as he walked over and bent above the garbage bag to slowly pull out the boots that dripped with blood. He threw them aside, casting them disgusting looks and pulled out a few photographs of Mrs. Campbell and a note that read: 

Nothing's gonna stop us from this murder 

"Shit." Ryan cursed enraged, "The killer's planning to murder Mrs. Campbell soon and we haven't got long...." 

A sabotage has to be stopped and time's running out.

P.S: I'd like to dedicate this line to all my readers out there for all your amazing support that turned my dreams into reality. 🖤

@ahlanazarx ⛓