XIII. Lost clues

"No one knows the future, but the present offers clues and hints on its direction."

- Innocent Mwatsikesimbe 

ACT 2, Scene 8

The mysterious cold darkness of the office was quickly stolen away as soon as the sound of metal keys rattling against each other was heard, the wooden door creaked open slowly as heavy footsteps vibrated against the floor, causing my heart to set of alarmingly. The leather-bound diary was clasped between my gloved fingers, the only true piece of evidence we could find and ever need. 

The next few minutes were spent in terror as I heard the sound of a flashlight turning on, clearly not Ryan's as it scanned around every corner of the office. It must be an officer, has to be. "That's strange," the gruff male voice muttered in confusion, switching the flashlight off, "thought I heard something," as he continued to whisper things to himself under his breath and walked out of the office, the door locking behind him.

* * * * * 

"Ava? Ava, are you alright?" the voices began blending so hard I could barely recognize whom the voices belonged to until my vision finally cleared up as I made out the familiar but worried figures of Hannah and Thea crouching beside the bed. I sat up immediately and looked around, my mind drowning in the depth of anxiety and trauma, my very own mind slowly driving itself insane.

"Wher-, where am I? How did I end up in here?" I asked totally confused as I looked around to find myself in the school's clinic, my memories blurry and faint no matter how hard I tried recalling what had happened. The last thing I remembered was Ms. Campbell's diary, Oh shit, the diary... where is it? 

"Ava, there's no need to worry. Don't panic, just tell me, how are you feeling?" Hannah questioned, sounding concerned as she placed her hand above my shoulder. "I-I don't know" I replied, thinking hard. My eyes paced around the clinic once more until, Emma appeared from behind, her face thin and pale but smiling.   

"Emma? Is..that you?" I asked, my heart rejoicing to finally see my best friend in ages. 

"I was supposed to be discharged today, but seeing you here wasn't on my list." she murmured lightly.

 "Can someone please tell me why I'm here?" I sighed defeated and stared at Hannah and Thea who stood close by, exchanging worried glances at each other. 

"Alright Ava, but you better not panic. Someone tried to kill you last night. We have no idea what happened but the matron found you lying in the hallway unconscious at the dead of night and you were bleeding, someone had tried to slit your neck but lucky the matron saw you in time, that's why your still alive." Thea narrated, looking at me with blue eyes filled with fear and pain. 

Someone tried to kill me? But why? Who? Where's the diary?

"Hello, Ava!" James burst in through the door, whistling merrily as if he didn't seem to care. When was the last time James was actually serious about something? Thea jumped up and turned to face him frustrated and annoyed, trying her best to shoo him away. "Relax sis, I'm just here to see Ava." he told her and she was defeated to say anything more.

"I thought we could all do something this afternoon." James began sitting down on Thea's seat, a plastic white chair placed beside the bed. "You've got to be kidding James, Ava almost died." Hannah huffed impatiently. "I know that, Hannah. The thing is though, I'm trying to find out who did it to her and there's a jolly good chance it could be Talia. I thought why not break into her dorm room by surprise and go through her wardrobe? We might find something useful, like a clue?" he suggested, looking for confirmation and approval in the eyes of others.

"You sure about that? I don't think we should do this" Emma whispered nervously, looking confused and frightened. 

"Well if you guys ain't coming, I'm gonna do it myself. What do you say?" 

"Fine, I guess we'll have to come along after all." Hannah agreed at last, almost unwillingly.

* * * * *

We stood before the wooden door painted white, which belonged to the dormitory of Hannah's cousin, Talia Fret, who shared the dorm room with the rest of her room mates. From outside everything sounded quiet and still, as if there wasn't anyone inside. It smelt of old books and strong coffee and dead silence paved way for something bad.

"James, are you sure about this?" Thea repeated, playing with her fingers out of fear and nervousness while Hannah looked totally confused and Emma who stood behind us all, too afraid to even react. 

He gave us all a glance before pushing the door open, which wasn't locked but to find it empty, only Talia standing beside the wardrobe, her face filled with dread, terror and panic to see her dorm room being broken into.

"Who the hell are you guys? And what do you think you're doing here?" she ran towards us immediately, enraged and furious. "Hannah? Even you? I swear to god if you're not gonna leave, something real bad's gonna happen," Talia began threatening us while we stood dumbfounded and Hannah tried to think of something appropriate to tell her.

"Guys, I found something" James called out, after sneaking under Talia's arm and rummaging through her stuff. He pulled out something, a tiny little box filled with numerous blades, resembling the exact ones present on the crime scene.

Ava was almost murdered and a new clue has been found. Who could be responsible for something gruesome as this?

@ahlanazarx ⛓️