XIV. Face your fears

"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself"

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

ACT 2, Scene 8

The once enraged and furious Talia Fret now stood dumbfounded, her face filled with dread, fear and confusion while her eyeballs looked as if they were going to sink back into her face and disappear. She stood a few steps away, squinting hard, trying to have a glimpse at the little box James was holding.

"Care to explain?" James questioned, a smirk draped over his face with a raised brow, brimming with pride and satisfaction, feeling glad to have caught a suspect red-handed.

"Umm.... weren't you the last person to see Ms. Campbell alive? I'm pretty certain your name was the last on the visitor's log book." Thea added doubtfully, looking half-afraid.

"I.. I don't know what's going on. But I didn't do anything to Ms. Campbell, I swear. As much as I hate her, but killing anyone would never be my choice," Talia burst out into tears with quivering dry lips. "That morning she called me to her office because I had a delay in the submission of my health certificate," she sobbed bitterly, looking for belief in the eyes of everyone around her.

We all stood frozen and confused not knowing what to believe. Was she actually speaking the truth or did she have another trick up her sleeve?

"But how did the box of blades end up in your wardrobe?" Hannah enquired, breaking the awkward silence that surrounded us.

"I-I don't know. I'm speaking the truth, I have absolutely no idea. They weren't there yesterday nor were they there today morning. Someone must have put them in here because the door of our dorm room has a broken lock which means anyone can break into it." Talia shot back breathlessly, struggling to keep her breaths steady.

I stared at Talia who tried to convince us of her innocence. As much as she was Hannah's distant cousin, older than her by a year or two, she was known all over Mount Preston for rebellious and violent behavior but maybe she could be innocent after all.

"Well, for now, these box of blades will be with me. I'll go show it to the officers tonight and maybe Talia, if you're lucky, you can try convincing them." James huffed out, as he walked out of Talia's dorm with heavy steps.

Only a few moments had passed by after the door flew shut on James's exit when it burst open once again with a loud bang, scaring every soul inside the room. My eyes filled up with fear and fright on noticing the bloody figure of a girl I never knew. She struggled to balance on her feet and fell down immediately, blood dripping all over her face and arms while her uniform was stained with blood.

"Talia," she struggled, choking for air as she crawled towards Talia who knelt on the wooden floor, looking worried and panic-stricken. "Mel? Is that you? What the hell happened to you?" Talia breathed out, now worried than ever. Melissa sat up slowly, trying to balance on her arm as she pointed her bloody finger towards the open door.

"tried to...tried to - kill me, help, pleas-" and before Melissa could even finish what she was saying, she fell onto the floor immediately, surrounded in a pool of blood. "Mel? Mel? Say something, please." Talia wept bitterly, shaking Melissa who had already died. Our eyes filled with tears but poor Melissa was already gone and there was nothing we could do to save her. My heart shattered into a million pieces yet I could never get used to the sadness of losing someone, watching them collapse before my very eyes.

"Talia," I whispered slowly as I neared her. "There's a piece of paper in Melissa's hand, maybe she wanted to give it to you," I told her, as I bent down, trying my best to stop myself from crying although a few tears ran down my cheeks which I quickly wiped away from the back of my hand. For a moment, Talia stopped crying as she slowly picked the little crumpled piece of paper tucked between Melissa's fingers.

The note was soaked partially in Melissa's blood as Talia opened the bit of paper and a few seconds later, dropped the note onto the ground, her hand shivering severely.

"Talia, Are you alright?" Thea asked, but Talia was too afraid to reply.

Too late you couldn't save Mel, Talia. But don't worry because you're next, Run before it's too late

"We gotta run before it's too late, the killer's on the loose," Talia screamed as she rose up that instant and grabbed my arm, signaling everyone to follow her out of the dorm room.

"Where are we going? I'm scared, I don't wanna die" Emma cried out, struggling to keep up with us.

It wasn't too long when a figure dressed in black appeared into view, a knife clasped between the killer's fingers, chasing after us. My heart set off once again, There's a killer on the loose.

A killer on the run. Will they survive?

Dear readers, I might not be consistent in my uploads due to certain problems which I'm facing at the moment but I'll try upload whenever possible, Thank you!

@ahlanazarx ⛓️

THE NOTE { DISCONTINUED }जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें