X. Losing game

"Losing isn't always the end, sometimes it becomes the beginning."

-Joseph Duffy

. . . . . . . . .

ACT 2, Scene 5

Trapped. She was trapped. As much as she didn't want to believe it but it was the truth and she had to act fast. Time was ticking away which also meant that her chances of preventing Ms. Campbell's assault kept decreasing with every passing second. 

"Shit Ryan, What are we gonna do?" Ava whispered in a voice that was barely audible, not wanting to be heard by the killer who stood leaning by the open door of the garden shed, a figure dressed in complete black with only a pair of small brown eyes exposed, staring into the world outside.

"There's only one way if we want to make it out alive in time," Ryan replied back, his usually blank face now looked tensed. 

"And what would that be?" Ava asked him, slowly peeping her eye through a hole in one of the broken wooden crates that shielded them. It didn't look like the killer was going to move anytime sooner and she had to make her way out of here with Ryan. It was her only choice

"Without risk, there's only regret," was what Ryan told her, his voice extremely low. She didn't understand what his words meant but she hardly had time to act. The next moment, Ava felt a firm grip around her wrist and the next thing she knew, Ryan was running outside the shed, dragging Ava behind him

* * * * * * *

Ava and Ryan dashed through the halls as quickly as they could with ragged heavy breaths. Ava prayed it wasn't too late, she'd bunked her lessons, lied to Thea and even got herself and Ryan trapped with a killer just to stop Ms. Campbell from dying and she hoped that her efforts wouldn't betray her. 

"What brings the two of you here? Aren't you supposed to be in class now?" questioned the matron who stood guard right outside the door of Ms. Campbell's office. She had a frown stretched across her young face, clearly annoyed to see two students running straight up to her almost immediately, trying to barge their way in.

"It's important, please, we haven't got any time, we need to see Ms. Campbell," Ava pleaded, begging the matron to agree but the look in her face gave away that she wouldn't. 

"You know you'd have to make an appointment. Besides, there's someone in there right now" the matron told them, eyeing the door and glancing back to Ava and Ryan once again. There's someone in right now, it could be the killer

"Please, it's an emergency. We don't have time for appointments" Ryan told her almost like a half-request with an edge to his deep voice. Looking very annoyed and with hardly a choice left, the matron finally agreed.

"You'd have to wait around twenty minutes then. The student would come out of the office in about a minute and Ms. Campbell would have her tea break soon. Maybe after that" she replied hesitantly, doing it just to get rid of Ava and Ryan.

* * * * * *

And they sat there for what felt like ages, waiting until their turn would finally arrive. The matron stood still, and glancing at her watch with a frown on her face, signaled Ava and Ryan to make their way inside. 

The door opened with a creak as they found Ms. Campbell sitting face towards the wall and her back facing Ryan and Ava who were left there standing, half confused and puzzled. This wasn't something new though, she's done this a few times and would probably turn back to them, greet them and start talking. 

But this time things were different. Five minutes were already over and Ms. Campbell hadn't moved, not even stirred a little nor did a word escape her mouth. She was still as a statue.

"Ms. Campbell?" Ava called out slowly, laying a hand on Ms. Campbell's shoulder. 

Ms. Campbell collapsed straight onto the ground, falling of her chair with blood running down one of her arm's as a shiny silver object fell out of her finger tips. 

She was dead. 

"It's too late" Ava sobbed out immediately. "She's dead" 

Too many suspects, A killer on the loose and time's running out.

P.S - Wouldn't be posting for about a month as there's a lot going on. I'd be posting as soon as I can

@ahlanazarx ⛓